Mutton Piralan (Mutton Dry Fry)
Ingredients for Mutton Piralan (Mutton Dry Fry):
1. Oil – 4 big spoons
2. Cumin seeds – 2 small spoons
Bay leaf (Vayana Ila) – 4
Cinnamon – 4 pieces
Green cardamom – 3
Dark cardamom – 6, big
3. Onions – ½ kg, chopped
4. Ginger paste – 2 big spoons
Garlic paste – 1 big spoon
5. Mutton – 1 kg
6. Coriander powder – 3 big spoons
Turmeric powder – ½ small spoon
7. Tomato – 250 gm, finely chopped
Coriander leaves chopped – As required
8. Salt – As needed
9. Garam masala powder – 2 small spoons
How to prepare Mutton Piralan (Mutton Dry Fry)?
1. Heat oil in a pan and sauté ingredients no: 2, one after the other.
2. Add onions and sauté till they turn golden brown.
3. Add ginger and garlic paste and sauté again.
4. When it’s done, add mutton pieces and cook in low flame.
5. After 10 minutes, add ingredients no: 6 along with a little water and cook well.
6. Finally add tomatoes and coriander leaves and cook for a few minutes.
7. Add sufficient salt and mix it well.
8. If you want to have some gravy, you can add water.
9. Finally add garam masala powder and take off the flame.
Note: If you marinate mutton pieces using green papaya paste and keep it for a while, it cooks easily. You can also cook mutton using a pressure cooker.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine August 15-31, 2016
Read a few more mutton side dishes/curry recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.