Mulayari – Chakkapazham Payasam (Bamboo Rice – Jackfruit Payasam)
Ingredients for Mulayari – Chakkapazham Payasam (Bamboo Rice – Jackfruit Payasam):
1. Bamboo rice (Mulayari) – 300 gm
2. Jaggery balls (Unda sharkkara) – 500 gm
3. Fried jackfruit (Varattiyath) – 500 gm
4. Coconut – 2
5. Ghee – 100 milli
6. Raisins – 50 gm
7. Cashews – 50 gm
8. Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
9. Dried ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
How to prepare Mulayari – Chakkapazham Payasam (Bamboo Rice – Jackfruit Payasam)?
1. Wash bamboo rice and soak for a while.
2. Cook the bamboo rice in ¾ litre water.
3. Extract 1st, 2nd and 3rd milk from scrapped coconut.
4. Melt jaggery by placing in low flame; add a little water.
5. Filter the jaggery solution and keep aside.
6. Mix well the fried jackfruit using a spoon till it turns soft.
7. Heat an urli and add jackfruit and cooked bamboo rice
8. Mix the contents well and allow to boil.
9. Add ghee occasionally to prevent this mixture sticking to urli.
10. Add jaggery solution and fry in low flame.
11. Add third extract of coconut milk and boil well.
12. When water content is almost absorbed, add second milk.
13. Cook your payasam till it thickens.
14. Add first extract of coconut milk and take off the flame when it starts boiling.
15. Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder and mix well.
16. Fry raisins and cashews in ghee and add to payasam.
Grahalakshmi Magazine October 1-15, 2015
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.