1. Fully ripe mango fruits – 4 cups (after removing skin and chopped into pieces)
2. Ghee – 2 tsp
3. Jaggery – 250 gm
4. Coconut – 4 (for taking milk)
5. Cardamom powder, Cumin powder – 1 tsp each
6. Condensed milk – 2 tsp
Honey – 2 tsp
7. Ghee – 2tsp
8. Cashew nuts – 50g
9. Coconut chopped to fine pieces – 1/4 cup
1. Take milk from 4 coconuts – 1st milk 1 cup, 2ndmilk – 2 cup, 3rd milk – 3 cup
2. Add water to mango pieces and cook well. Then grind it well in a mixer.
3. Take a thick bottom Urli and heat 2 tsp of ghee. Add mango pulp to it and sauté till it is done. Keep stirring.
4. When it is almost done, add melted jaggery to it. Then continue stirring for a few more minutes till it is done.
5. When payasam thickens, add third coconut milk and boil well.
6. When it thickens add second milk and continue cooking. Keep stirring.
7. When it starts thickening, add cardamom and cumin powder and also the first milk.
8. Mix the contents well and add condensed milk and honey also. Put the flame off.
9. Heat ghee and fry cashews and coconut pieces, and add to the payasam.
10. Serve once it’s cooled.
N.B: If you want to add more sweetness to payasam, add sugar before the payasam completely cools off.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine September 1-14 2011
(Visited 99 times, 1 visits today)