Khichdi is quite popular among North Indians. It’s a dish similar to biryani, made using basmati rice. It’s a main course dish. Different types of vegetables and dals are added for the preparation to make it a healthy dish.
In Kerala, Kichadi (spells similar to Khichdi) is a traditional vegetarian side dish served with rice. Curd added side dishes are generally classified as Kichadi or Pachadi. There is a major difference between Kichadi and Pachadi. Sweet added raita dishes are generally classified as pachadi, while south Indian Kichadis don’t have sweet taste. That’s the major difference. Ripen mangoes, pine apple or beetroot are generally used for preparing pachadi, and cucumber and white gourd for kichadi. Bitter gourd can be used to prepare both these dishes. If needed, sugar or jaggery is added to give sweetness taste.
Ingredients to prepare Khichdi:
1. Olive oil – 1 big spoon
2. Onion – 1 big spoon
Ginger finely chopped – 1 big spoon
3. Garlic finely chopped – 1 big spoon
4. Green chillies – 1, sliced
5. Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Pepper powder – ½ small spoon
6. Cumin powder – ½ big spoon
Coriander powder – ½ big spoon
Garam masala powder – ½ big spoon
Asafoetida powder – A pinch
7. Basmati rice – ½ cup, soaked
8. Green gram daal soaked – 1 cup
9. Salt – As required
Cauliflower pieces – ½ cup
Green spinach – ½ cup
Carrot – 1, finely chopped
How to prepare Khichdi?
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté ginger and onions.
2. Add garlic and sauté again. Later add green chilly pieces and mix well.
3. Add pepper powder and turmeric powder, and sauté again.
4. To avoid sticking to bottom, sprinkle a little water.
5. Put to low flame, add ingredients no: 6 and mix again.
6. Add soaked rice and dal to it, add sufficient water and mix again.
7. Add ingredients no: 9, mix well and cook in low flame with lid closed.
8. If needed add extra water to cook your Khichdi.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine July 1-14, 2017
Khichdi – Recipe 2
Ingredients for Khichdi:
1. Basmati rice – ½ cup
Green gram dal – ½ cup
Carrot chopped fine – ½ cup
Beans chopped fine – ½ cup
Salt and water – As required
2. Ghee – 1 big spoon
3. Cumin seeds – ½ small spoon
How to prepare Khichdi?
1. Cook ingredients no: 1 using a pressure cooker.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and sauté cumin seeds.
3. Add this ghee to cooked Khichdi and mix well.
4. Serve hot.
Note: You can also serve chicken or vegetables as side dish.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine March 1-14, 2018
Please go through the gallery of different varieties of vegetarian side dishes. Click on the images in the gallery to choose a category