Ingredients for Karanchi:
1. Maida – 1.5 cups
Salt – For taste
2. Semolina (Rava) – 1 cup
3. Coconut scrapped – ¾ cup
4. Sugar – ½ cup
5. Cashews and raisins – 1 big spoon each
6. Ghee – 1 big spoon
7. Cardamom powder – 2 pinch
How to prepare Karanchi?
1. Add salt and water to maida and knead the dough.
2. The dough should be a little thinner in consistency comparing with chapati.
3. Heat rava in a pan and roast it.
4. Roast scrapped coconut till its water content is fully absorbed. But colour should not change.
5. In the same pan, add sugar and a big spoon of water and allow it to boil.
6. Add fried coconut to it, and also raisins and cashews.
7. Mix the contents well.
8. Add fried semolina to it along with ghee and fry the contents well.
9. Finally add cardamom powder, mix well and take off from flame.
10. Make small balls from maida dough and spread to round pappad shapes.
11. Place a little coconut filling inside it, fold from one side and make crescent shape, similar to half-moon.
12. Spread them in a paper so that moisture content is fully absorbed.
13. Heat oil and deep fry Karanchi till golden brown.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine May 1-14, 2018