French Onion Soup
Ingredients for French Onion Soup:
1. Butter – 65 gm
Oil – 1 big spoon
2. Onion – 3 big, chopped fine
Salt – A pinch
3. Red wine – 4 big spoons
4. Beef stock – 1 litre 200 milli
5. Thyme, bay leaf and fresh parsley wrapped together in muslin cloth (Known as bouquet garni) – As required
6. Salt and pepper powder – For taste
7. Baguette bread – 8 slices
8. Gruyère cheese grated – A handful
How to prepare French Onion Soup?
1. In a thick bottomed sauce pan, heat butter and oil together.
2. Add onions and sauté it adding a pinch of salt.
3. Sauté contents in medium flame till onions turn golden brown, almost fried and caramized.
4. Add three big spoons of wine and using a wooden spoon mix the contents well (till the spoon touches the bottom).
5. Add beef stock and bouquet garni and stir well.
6. Add pepper and salt, mix it well and close the lid.
7. When it starts boiling, reduce the flame and cook for 30 minutes. Never stir it.
8. Add salt and pepper again, add 1 spoon wine and switch off the flame.
9. Toast Baguette bread.
10. Place cheese on the top of bread pieces and grill it till it turns golden brown and bubbles start appearing.
11. Serve toasted bread with French Onion Soup.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine July 15-31, 2018