Ingredients for Fish Masala:
1. Fish – ½ kg, cut into pieces
2. Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Lemon juice – 3 big spoons
Salt – 1 small spoon
3. Ghee/oil – As required
4. Grated onions – 1 cup
Garlic – 10 cloves, chopped
5. Salt – As required
Cumin seeds – 1 small spoon
Fenugreek – 1 small spoon
Coriander powder – 1 small spoon
6. Curd – 1 cup
7. Chilli powder – 1 small spoon
8. Sugar – 1 small spoon
Ginger finely chopped – 2 small spoons
9. Coriander leaves chopped – 1 big spoon
Garam masala powder – ½ small spoon
Green chillies finely chopped – 2 small spoons
How to prepare Fish Masala?
1. Clean the fish and marinate using ingredients no: 2.
2. Allow it to rest for half an hour.
3. Heat oil or ghee in a pan and fry grated onions and garlic.
4. When it turns golden brown, drain from oil/ghee.
5. In the remaining oil, deep fry the fish and keep aside.
6. In the remaining oil, sauté the fried onions along with ingredients no: 5.
7. Add water little by little while sauting process is going on.
8. Blend the curd well and add to the masala little by little.
9. Continue sauting till curd is fully absorbed and a thin layer of oil appears on the surface.
10. Add chilli powder to it and mix well.
11. Add fried fish to it along with ingredients no: 8.
12. Close the lid, rotate the pan once and allow fish to cook in low flame for a while.
13. When the masala turns thick, put the flame off.
14. Spread ingredients no: 9 on the top of your fish masala and serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine November 15-30, 2016
Read a few more delicious non-veg fish side dish/curry recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.