Ingredients for Couscous Payasam:
1. Couscous – 2 table spoons
Raw rice (Pachari) -1 table spoon
Cashews – 6
2. Almonds – 5
Cashews – 6
Coconut scrapped – ¾ cup
Dried coconut scrapped – ¼ cup
3. Jaggery melted – 1 cup
4. Coconut milk – 3 cups
5. Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
6. Ghee -2 table spoons
Cashews & raisins – 2 table spoons fried in ghee
How to prepare Couscous Payasam?
1. Slightly fry ingredients no: 6 in low flame for 3 or 4 minutes. Take extra care so that the ingredients not get burned.
2. When couscous turns brown or tender pink colour, take off from flame and allow the contents to cool.
3. Make a fine powder of the mixture using a blender.
4. Add a little hot water to ingredients no: 2 and make a fine paste.
5. Add a cup of water and melt jaggery. Later strain it and keep aside.
6. Add 2 table spoons of ghee to a pan and add the coconut-almond paste.
7. Also add powdered couscous mixture.
8. Reduce the flame and sauté for 5 minutes.
9. Add jaggery solution and half amount of coconut milk.
10. Allow the contents to boil in low flame. Stir continuously.
11. Now add remaining coconut milk.
12. Boil the contents for 5 minutes in low flame.
13. Take off from flame and add cardamom powder and add cashews and raisins fried in ghee and serve.
Courtesy: Grihalakshmi August 16-31, 2017
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.