Chakka Pradhaman for Vishu Sadya (Jackfruit Pradhaman)
Ingredients for Chakka Pradhaman for Vishu Sadya (Jackfruit Pradhaman):
1. Jackfruit chopped fine – As required (around half kilo gram)
2. Ghee – 50 gm
3. Jaggery solution – Melted and strained from half kilo jaggery
4. Coconut milk third extract from 2 big coconuts – 2.5 cups
Coconut milk second extract – 2.5 cups
Coconut milk first extract – 1 cup
5. Salt – A pinch
Cardamom powder – 1 small spoon
Dry ginger powder – ½ small spoon
Cumin powder – ½ small spoon
Sugar – 1 big spoon
6. Ghee – As required
7. Coconut pieces – 1 big spoon
Cashews broken – A little
Raisins – A little
How to prepare Chakka Pradhaman for Vishu Sadya (Jackfruit Pradhaman)?
1. Heat a little ghee in an urli and sauté jack fruit pieces.
2. After frying for a while, allow the contents to cool.
3. Make a fine paste, adding sufficient water.
4. In the same urli add a little more ghee and sauté jack fruit paste once again.
5. Before it starts sticking to bottom, add jaggery solution.
6. Stir it well and occasionally add ghee little by little.
7. Add third extract coconut milk, mix well and then add second extract milk followed by ingredients listed as 5.
8. Mix the contents well and cook for while, and add first extract coconut milk.
9. Heat ghee in a pan and fry ingredients listed as 7.
10. Pour the mixture to the pradhaman, and put off the flame.
11. Close the urli using a lid with pores so that vapours can evaporate easily, and allow it to rest for half an hour.
12. Mix your jack fruit pradhaman only after it’s completely set.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, April 1-14, 2018
Read a few more pradhaman and payasam recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read