Ingredients for Baingan Bharta:
1. Sunflower oil – 250 milli
2. Cumin seeds – ½ small spoon
3. Onions grinded in mixer – 3
Ginger and garlic paste – 1 small spoon each
4. Chilli powder and turmeric power – 1 small spoon each
Garam masala powder – 1/2 small spoon
Salt – For taste
5. Tomatoes grinded – 3, big
6. Brinjal (violet) – 5
7.Coriander leaves – 3 small spoons
How to prepare Baingan Bharta?
1. Heat oil in a frying pan and sputter cumin seeds.
2. Add onions and ginger-garlic paste and fry it.
3. Water content should be fully absorbed and the gravy should turn to brown colour.
4. Add ingredients no: 4 and sauté for a while.
5. Add tomato paste and fry it well without adding water.
6. Split brinjals into 4 parts without separating its stalk (similar to flower petals).
7. Add coriander leaves to the gravy and mix well.
8. Fill the inner portions of brinjal using this gravy.
9. Fry brinjals in pan with lid closed.
10. Flip all the sides occasionally and cook well.
11. Serve hot with chapatti.
Courtesy: Vanitha magazine July 1-14, 2010
Read a few more Brinjal Side Dish recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.