Arisi Appalam (Rice Appalam)
Ingredients for Arisi Appalam (Rice Appalam):
1. Rice – 2 cups
Sago – ½ cup
2. Green chillies – 2, grinded to paste
Asafoetida powder – ¼ small spoon
Salt – For taste
Water – As required
3. Lemon juice – 1.5 small spoons
4. Coconut oil – As required
How to prepare Arisi Appalam (Rice Appalam)?
1. Soak rice and sago separately adding sufficient water and then drain excess water.
2. Powder both separately and later mix it together.
3. Add ingredients no: 2 to it and add sufficient water to prepare the dough.
4. Dough should be a little bit loose comparing with chapati.
5. Divide the dough to small balls. Press it slightly.
6. Steam cook these balls in greased plates of idli maker for 15 minutes.
7. Once taken out, mix them together and add 1.5 small spoons of lemon juice.
8. Mix the dough well to form a single ball.
9. Make gooseberry sized balls from this dough.
10. Spread the balls to thin round shapes applying a little coconut oil on both sides.
11. Spread on papers and dry under direct sun for 1 day.
12. Store them in air-tight containers.
13. When you need them, deep fry them as normal pappads.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine February 15-28, 2018
Read a few more interesting pappad/pappadam recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.