Top 25 Lata Mangeshkar romantic duet songs composed by R. D. Burman
Everybody loves some of the best compositions created by R. D. Burman for his wife Asha Bhosle, and his best friend Kishore Kumar. But what about the combination songs of Lata and R. D. Check my previous column to read top 50 solo songs of Lata Mangeshkar composed by R. D. Burman. In this list I would prefer 30 of the best romantic duets sung by Lata Mangeshkar, with male or female co-singers, but exclusively composed by Pancham da. I have chosen my top 25 picks. I hope most of the songs match with your personal choices too, and here we go.
1. Mein Chali Mein Chali from Padosan – Let us begin the list with the very popular duet of Mangeshkar sisters in a funny mood. The movie included two of the extremely popular songs of Lata Mangeshkar, filmed on Saira Banu, and Saira looks very cute in this song. It’s one of the rare duets sung by Mangeshkar sisters – Lata and Asha in Burman’s compositions. The song was written by Rajinder Krishan.
2. Ni Sultana Re from Pyar Ka Mausam – It’s indeed a very rare composition of Bollywood ever, best noticed for its unique rendering by Rafi and Lata. Both the singers crooned it amazingly well by bringing high variations in pitches from low note to high and in reverse order, and Asha Parekh and Shashi Kapoor too danced pretty well. Majrooh Sultanpuri wrote the song. The film director repeated the film sequences from his hit film, Dil Dekhe Dekho, filmed on Asha Parekh and Shammi Kapoor (Yaar Chulbula Hai). Asha appeared in both these sequences, while Shammi’s younger brother appeared in Version no: 2. What a strange co-incidence!
3. Beete Na Bitayi from Parichay – This particular song and Raina Beeti of Amar Prem are two of the finest raga based songs composed by Burman for Lata Mangeshkar in the era of 1970s. The song featured actor Sanjeev Kumar and Jaya Bhaduri, who played father and daughter in the film, quite strange. Bhupinder’s voice was also used for this classic song.
4. Kaanchi Re Kaanchi from Hare Rama Hare Krishna – This romantic track regularly features in top songs of Dev Anand and Mumtaz. Kishore Kumar sang this duet with Lata Mangeshkar, and Anand Bakshi penned lyrics as usual.
5. Bheegi Bheegi Raaton Mein from Ajnabee – This sizzling rain song featuring Rajesh Khanna and Zeenat Aman is one of the finest rain songs ever. Also read: Top rain songs of Bollywood. Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar sang its original version, penned by Anand Bakshi. The movie had four songs, and R. D. Burman used Kishore’s voice in all of them.
6. Hum Dono Do Premi from Ajnabee – The first Bollywood song to be fully shot on the top of the train, it was the first film of the lead pair – Rajesh Khanna and Zeenat Aman too. Lyrics were penned by Anand Bakshi. Kishore Kumar sang this duet with Lata Mangeshkar.
7. Sun Champa Sun Tara from Apna Desh – This dance number featuring Mumtaz and Rajesh Khanna is lovely and romantic too. Lyrics were penned by Anand Bakshi, and this duet was sung by Kishore and Lata. Kajra Lagake Gajra Sajake is yet another popular duet of the duo featuring the lead pair.
8. Panna Ki Tamanna Hai Kii from Heera Panna – A very popular duet pictured on Zeenat Aman and Dev Anand, its music composed by R. D. Burman is still popular. Its lovely lyrics were written by Anand Bakshi who regularly worked with R. D. The duet was sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar.
9. Gum Hai Kise Ke Pyar Mein from Rampur Ke Laxman – The duet sung by Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar was filmed with beautiful frames, colourful set and the leading pair, Randhir Kapoor and Rekha also looked extremely romantic. The memorable lyrics were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
10. Wada Karo from Aa Gale Lag Jaa – The songs of the film were instant chart busters. In this romantic track Shashi Kapoor tries to woo Sharmila Tagore on a skating floor in fancy costumes. The duet was sung by Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar and memorable lyrics were penned by Sahir Ludhianvi. Also read: Top 15 songs of Shashi Kapoor. The movie also included the very touching song, Tera Mujhse Hai Pehla Tha.
11. Pyar Hua Hai Jabse from Abhilasha – One of the early peppy songs composed by R. D. Burman, this dance number (dream sequence) featuring Nanda and Sanjay Khan was sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar. Its lyrics were written by Majrooh Sultanpuri. It was one of the earliest hit duets of Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar composed by R. D. Burman.
12. Tere Bina Zindagi Se from Aandhi – Whenever R. D. Burman’s best compositions come into discussion, songs of Aandhi featuring Sanjeev Kumar and Suchitra Sen can never miss it. The songs are so touching, lovely pictured and look realistic. Gulzar added extra life to its scenes as well as lyrics. But sadly the movie faced a ban soon after its theatric release, following the Emergency period of 1975. In fact, the movie had three popular duets of Kishore and Lata and it’s not easy to point out which one is better.
13. Tum Aa Gaye Ho – As I told above, how beautifully it is written, and how sincerely tuned! The lead pair lived it on screen too. Nothing else to say!
14. Is Mode Se Jaate Ho – Yet another wonderful duet of Kishore and Lata, it’s entirely different in tune and mood if compared with rest duets of the movie.
15. Karvatein Badalti Rahe from Aap Ki Kasam – This duet of Kishore and Lata is widely regarded as one of the top duets composed by R. D. Burman. All the songs were well received by critics and audience alike. This romantic track penned by Anand Bakshi was filmed on Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz. However the movie was not a big hit as expected. R. D earned a Filmfare nomination for its compositions. After this movie, Mumtaz took a sabbatical from acting, following her marriage.
16. Jai Jai Shiv Shankar from Aap Ki Kasam – This dance track is extremely energetic, and can force anyone dance to its tunes of Pancham da. The song featuring Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz was sung by Lata and Kishore and wordings penned by Anand Bakshi. Jai Jai Shiv Shankar was listed at #2 on Binaca Geetmala annual list 1974. The movie also included yet another popular duet of the duo – Suno Kaho, which I left to make space for more songs from different movies.
17. Naam Gum Jayega from Kinara – After Anand Bakshi, Gulzar remained the most successful lyricist in association with R. D. Burman. While Bakshi was mostly associated with main stream commercial movies, Burman’s association with Gulzar for offbeat and parallel movies remained equally successful. Kinara too belonged to this genre. Bhupinder and Lata Mangeshkar rendered their voices for this beautiful song.
18. Tu Pyar Tu Preet from Paraya Dhan – This Kishore Kumar – Lata Mangeshkar duet was filmed on Hema Malini and Rakesh Roshan. The song was written by Anand Bakshi.
19. Ni Soniye from The Train – The movie is best known for ‘Gulabi Aankhein’ sung by Rafi. One of the very rare duets of Lata and Rafi composed by R. D. Burman, Ni Soniye is also a beautiful song. Its lyrics were penned by Anand Bakshi.
20. Kitna Pyara Wada from Caravan – The movie was a huge hit, so are its songs too. R. D used the voices of Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle to different songs of the album. Mohammed Rafi & Lata Mangeshkar sang two duets for the film, and both are beautiful. This particular track was filmed on Asha Parekh and Jeetendra. Chadti Jawani Meri Chaal Mastani was the second duet. Caravan was one among the last associations of the veteran poet Majrooh Sultanpuri with the composer, before the era of Anand Bakshi – R. D. Burman & Gulzar – R. D. Burman kicked off.
21. Kya Yehi Pyaar Hai from Rocky – The movie marked the acting debut of Sanjay Dutt and he was featured aside Tina Munim in this evergreen romantic song composed by R. D. Burman. Anand Bakshi penned the lyrics, and the male voice belongs to Kishore Kumar.
22. Yaad Aa Raha Hai from Love Story – This blockbuster romantic film had two wonderful duets sung by Lata Mangeshkar, and I am really confused to pick one, Dekho Maine Dekha Hai Yeh Ek Sapna or Yaad Aa Raha Hai. Both the songs were huge chartbusters when got released. Both the duets featuring Kumar Gaurav and Vijayta Pandit were sung by Amit Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. Ye Ladki Zarasi Diwani Lagti Hai and Kaisa Tera Pyar are rest two duets of the film sung by Lata aside Amit Kumar.
23. Badal Yun Garajta Hai from Betaab – Yet another romantic movie similar to Love Story, all the songs of the movie were extremely popular. This song featuring Sunny Deol and Amrita Singh was sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Shabbir Kumar. Anand Bakshi penned the lyrics. The duet – Jab Hum Jawa Honge too was equally popular.
24. Jaane Kaise Kab Kahan from Shakti – The duet sung by Kishore Kumar & Lata Mangeshkar was filmed on Smita Patil and Amitabh Bachchan. Smita Patil has appeared in a few commercial movies aside Bachchan in the early 1980s, and they include some wonderful songs too. Anand Bakshi penned this evergreen hit song.
25. Kasme Vaade Nibhayenge Hum from Kasme Wade – The title track of the film was sung by Kishore Kumar & Lata Mangeshkar, and filmed on Rakhee Gulzar and Amitabh Bachchan. Its lyrics were penned by Gulshan Bawra.
Before I conclude….
Let me add a few more songs of my choice – Jab Hum Jawan Honge from Betaab, Kajra Lagake Gajra Sajake from Apna Desh, Dekho Maine Dekha Hai Yeh Ek Sapna from Love Story, Suno Kaho from Aap Ki Kasam, Koi Ladki Mujhe Kal from Seeta Aur Geeta and Chadti Jawani Meri Chaal Mastani from Caravan. Let me know if we can add more songs to this list.
Go through the gallery below, and click on the links to read a few interesting topics of this iconic composer.