Top 10 Bollywood Songs of Sadhana Sargam composed by Anu Malik
Sadhana Sargam and Anu Malik – Two integral components of Bollywood music 1990s. It can’t be denied the fact that Sadhana got less singing opportunities, comparing with her contemporaries – Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy and Anuradha Paudwal. Yet Sadhana sang some of the finest romantic songs of the era. Apart from Anu Malik, she was given opportunities by A. R. Rahman, Jatin-Lalit, Nadeem-Shravan etc. In fact, she is a very successful singer down south, with major hits formed in association with A. R. Rahman and Vidya Sagar. Through this column, I shall list ten of the finest tunes of Anu Malik which were lip-synced by Sadhana.
1. Tujhse Kya Chori Hai Teri Aankhon Ki Masti from Hum Hain Bemisal – The film starring Suniel Shetty and Madhoo was not a hit in box office. However the duet sung by Kumar Sanu and Sadhana Sargam was well noticed, and I would love to begin this list of Sadhana Sargam songs with this Anu Malik composition. Qateel Shifai, who regularly worked with Anu Malik penned its lyrics too.
2. Teri Ankhon Ka Deewana from Daraar – The movie was a big flop. However the romantic song featuring Juhi Chawla and Arbaaz Khan got well noticed. The song was written by Rahot Indori, who wrote some of the finest songs of his career for Anu Malik.
3. Jaane Mujhe Kya Hua from Baazi – Fur Elise of Beethoven – his masterpiece work has been used multiple times on Indian screen, and this is one such beautiful instance. Anu Malik gave a Bollywood touch to the composition, and made it true desi. The duet sung by Udit Narayan and Sadhana Sargam was extremely popular too. Majrooh Sultanpuri and Anwar Sagar penned the lyrics of its songs. The song was filmed on Aamir Khan and Mamta Kulkarni.
4. Dheere Dheere Aap Mere from Baazi – The movie also included one more very popular duet sung by Udit Narayan and Sadhana Sargam – Dheere Dheere Aap Mere. The song is lovely filmed on Aamir Khan and Mamta Kulkarni, and remained a top chartbuster hit in the early 1995. The movie included three duets of the same pair, the third one being Na Jaane Kya Hoga Hai.
5. Tere Dar Par Sanam from Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayi – Year 1993 gave a real breakthrough to Anu Malik, who has been waiting for more than a decade for a golden opportunity. He gave some of the finest compositions of 1990s in the year 1993, with chartbuster songs belonging to romantic, ghazal, dance number etc trying with every genres of film music, and cemented his position in the industry.
Tere Dar Par Sanam – definitely a career defining songs of Anu Malik is still regarded as one among his best 10 soft melodious compositions, and it gained a lot of popularity when got released. This particular song has two solo versions, one recorded in Kumar Sanu’s voice featuring Rahul Roy and Pooja Bedi and second one in Sadhana Sargam’s voice, featuring Rahul Roy and Pooja Bhatt. Both the versions became extremely popular. Qateel Shifai penned the lyrics. However the song drew inspirations from the theme track of 1971 movie ‘Summer of 42’, composed by Michel Legrand.
6. Hum Unse Mohabbat Karke from Gambler – The movie starring Govinda and Shilpa Shetty was a box office hit, and this duet sung by Kumar Sanu & Sadhana Sargam got noticed too. Nawab Arzoo penned its lyrics.
7. Khatey Hain Kasam from Prem Aggan – Some of the finest songs of Sadhana Sargam’s career were composed by Anu Malik, and Khatey Hain Kasam is one such. She sang this popular duet with Udit Narayan, and the song was filmed on Fardeen Khan and Meghna Kothari. Sudarshan Faakir penned its lyrics.
8. Hameshaa Hameshaa from Hameshaa – All the songs were instant chartbusters. Anu Malik recorded most of its songs in the voices of Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, Abhijeet, Alka Yagnik and Sadhana Sargam. The title track of the album featured the lead pair Kajol & Saif Ali Khan. Rahot Indori wrote the lyrics of this romantic duet sung by Kumar Sanu & Sadhana Sargam.
9. Ae Dil Hamen Itna Bata from Hamesha – The movie included one more song of my favourite. In this particular song, filmed on Aditya Pancholi and Kajol, Sadhana Sargam supports Udit Narayan providing back vocals only. Not even a single line is sung by Sadhana. Yet it’s so beautiful and hence included in this list. Rahat Indori penned its beautiful lyrics.
10. Hum Ko Malum Hai from Jaan-E-Mann – It’s one of the last hits of Sadhana Sargam in association with Anu Malik, and hence concluding the list with this popular song featuring Preity Zinta and Salman Khan. Gulzar penned the lyrics.
A few more hit songs of Sadhana Sargam & Anu Malik combination include – Deewani Deewani from Aakhri Baazi, Chanchal Hain Aankhen from Chal Chala Chal, Tu Jahaan Bhi Jaayegi from Pyare Mohan, Na Jaane Kya Ho Gaya from Baazi, Chori Chori O Gori from Ram Jaane, Aashiki Mein Had Se from The Gentleman, Aaiye Aap Ka Intezar Hai from Vijayapath, Har Dam Dam Bedam from Prem Aggan, Koi Kaise Mohabbat Chhupaye from Krishna, Dard Karaara from Dum Laga Ke Haisha etc. Hope you enjoyed my list. Please go through other lists of Anu Malik songs as well.