Lalloo Anup – Music Sensation from Kerala through the rendition of “Mere Dholna Sun”
Lalloo Anup is a singer from Kerala quite popular through her stage performances. She became a singing sensation after her rendition of semi classical “Mere Dholna Sun” at her brother’s marriage function went viral over net. Even national media dubbed her voice as Kerala’s Shreya Ghoshal, as her rendition resembled the voice of the popular singer a lot. She belongs to a family of musicians and singers, and her husband Anup Thomas is also singer. The duo owns a musical band, ‘The Singing Couple’ which is regular in performances in local circuit. Though Lalloo is yet to make her playback singing debut she has released a cover version of R. D. Burman’s popular romantic song, ‘Bahon Mein Chale Aoo’ in 2018 which received an overwhelming response across different states of India.
Lalloo Anup was born into a Christian family of Kanjirapally of Kottayam district in 1987. Chemmalamattom is her hometown. Since young she used to sing in church choir. She was introduced to Carnatic music by her father, a professional guitarist. Her mother is also a singer. After her marriage with IT professional Anup in 2015, the duo started learning and performing together. She is an assistant professor by profession and teaches English literature since 2011, and hence nicknamed ‘Singing Teacher’ and also ‘Singing Teacher from Kerala’.
The duo sang together for their marriage reception of August 17, 2015 and it went viral. That’s how the idea of ‘The Singing Couple’ came into being. After that Lalloo’s rendition of Malayalam classic, ‘Aadi Vaa Kaatte’ on the fresher’s day in her college went viral.
Lalloo Anup – Some interesting and unknown facts
1. Her maiden name is Lalloo Alphonse, and she was born to Alphonse James and Valsa Alphonse. She has one younger brother.
2. Her trademark smile while singing also earned her a lot of fans, apart from her silky voice.
3. Though she is a Malayali, she sings Bollywood songs with ease, and hence owns a lot of fans from all over the country.
4. Director Bhadran has offered her an opportunity to sing for his next film, which stars Mohanlal in lead role.
5. The singing couple is quite popular among netizens and they also sing for wedding ceremonies and other functions.
6. Before marriage she often went to ganamelas (live singing concerts) as a substitute.
7. Though started learning music at a young age, it broke while doing her 10th studies. Yet occasionally she used to perform at public events. She rediscovered her as a singer after her marriage with Anup.
8. She got serious in music only after marriage, and thanks to her supportive life partner.
9. Among all her renditions, Anup likes ‘Thodi Badmash Ho Tum’ most, while Lalloo admires Anup’s rendition of ‘Vaathil Pazhithiloode’ most.