Ingredients for Vattayappam:
1. Non-sticky raw rice (Pachari) or idli rice – 1 cup
2. Coconut scrapped (Pacha Thenga) – 1 cup
Coconut water – ½ cup
Sugar – 4 big spoons
Salt – ½ small spoon
3. Instant yeast – ½ small spoon
Rice flour cooked in ½ cup water – 1 big spoon
How to prepare Vattayappam?
1. Soak rice in water for a few hours.
2. Grind it well adding ingredients no: 2 to prepare the batter.
3. Add ingredients no: 3 and blend well again.
4. If you are using instant yeast, you need not keep the batter for fermentation. But water used for grinded should not be excess.
5. The batter should be grinded similar to dosa’s.
6. After three hours, the batter will ferment and rises up. Never stir the batter.
7. Grease a plate using ghee for preparing Vattayappam.
8. Take only the well-fermented upper layer of the batter and pour to the plate.
9. Steam cook it to prepare Vattayappam.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine Dec 15-31, 2017