Rice Flakes Pancake (Avalappam)
Ingredients for Rice Flakes Pancake (Avalappam):
1. Raw rice (Pachari) – 1 cup
2. Yeast – ½ small spoon
Lukewarm water – ¼ cup
Sugar – ½ small spoon
3. White rice flakes – ½ cup
Sugar – 3 or 4 big spoons
Salt – ½ small spoon
How to prepare Rice Flakes Pancake (Avalappam)?
1. Soak rice in water for three hours.
2. Mix together ingredients no: 2 in a bowl and allow to ferment.
3. Grind soaked rice, rice flakes, salt and sugar in a mixer adding ½ cup water.
4. When it’s well grinded (about three minutes), add yeast mixture and blend it well in mixture.
5. If needed, add excess water.
6. The batter should be loose to pour on a tawa to prepare pancake (slightly thinner than dosa batter).
7. Allow the batter to rest for next 2-3 hours.
8. Later prepare appams (pancake) using an Appam maker (close the lid of the pan once the batter is poured to it).
9. You can also prepare flat vellayappam by using a flat tawa.
Note: Once the batter is well fermented, you can store the excess amount in refrigerator, and take it out when needed. You can also substitute raw rice with one cup rice flour.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine Dec 15-31, 2017
You can read few more pancake recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.