Paneer Mushroom Biryani
Ingredients for Paneer Mushroom Biryani:
1. Biryani rice – ½ kg
2. Paneer – 250 gm
3. Button mushroom – ½ kg
4. Coriander powder – 1 small spoon
Turmeric powder – ½ small spoon
Chilli powder – 1 small spoon
Fennel seeds – 1 small spoon
5. Cashews – ¼ cup
Coconut scrapped – ¼ cup
6. Ghee – 1 cup
7. Cinnamon – 2-inch piece
Cloves – 6
Cardamom – 6
8. Onions chopped – ¼ kg
9. Garlic paste – 2 big spoons
10. Ginger paste – 2 big spoons
Tomato chopped – 1 cup
11. Coriander leaves chopped – 1 cup
Curd – 1 cup
12. Salt – As required
13. Green chillies – 4, end split
14. Lemon juice – From 1 lemon
15. Cashews, raisins and onions fried – To decorate
How to prepare Paneer Mushroom Biryani?
1. Cut paneer to 1-inch square pieces.
2. Clean mushrooms and keep aside. (If bigger in size, cut into 2 pieces)
3. Make a fine paste of ingredients 4, 5 and 6 separately and keep aside.
4. Heat ghee, and fry cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
5. Add onions and when it turns brown, add garlic paste and sauté again.
6. When pleasant flavour comes out, add the paste of ingredients no: 4 and sauté well.
7. Add ginger paste and tomatoes and sauté well till a thin layer of oil appears.
8. Add coriander leaves, salt and curd, and mix well.
9. Add paneer pieces and mushrooms and close the lid for a while.
10. When gravy thickens, add coconut-cashew paste and green chillies and stir well.
11. When the contents boil, take off from flame.
12. To prepare rice, wash rice and soak for half an hour.
13. Pre-heat oven in 150 degree celsious.
14. Boil 12 cups of water adding sufficient salt.
15. Add drained rice and lemon juice to it.
16. When rice is 3/4th done, drain of excess water.
17. In the baking tray, apply a small spoon of ghee and spread ¼ part of cooked rice.
18. From the prepared masala gravy, take paneer and mushroom pieces and spread as a layer on rice.
19. Divide the remaining rice into two and spread one half on the top of mushrooms and paneer as second layer.
20. Pour gravy of masala on its top, followed by remaining rice as the next layer.
21. Bake rice for half an hour in the pre-heated oven.
22. Serve your mushroom-paneer biryani in such a way that layers are clearly visible.
23. Decorate each serving plate with fried raisins, cashews and coconut on its top.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, October 15-31, 2010
You can read more Paneer recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.