Ingredients for Chatti Pathiri:
1. Maida – 1 cup
2. Eggs – 1 + 5
3. Salt – For taste
4. Cashews – 100 gm
Raisins – 50 gm
Couscous – 50 gm
5. Vanapati/Oil (Any other except coconut oil) – 200 gm
6. Shallots – 2, chopped fine
7. Sugar – 1 cup
8. Cardamom – 8
How to prepare Chatti Pathiri?
1. Add an egg, salt and sufficient water to maida and prepare batter (similar to dosa).
2. Heat a pan, pour batter using a big spoon and prepare 8 dosas (pancake).
3. Flip once and cook both sides well.
4. Take half amount of sugar in a bowl and 4 cardamoms, and add remaining 5 eggs.
5. Beat the contents well.
6. Heat oil or vanaspati and fry chopped shallots.
7. When it cools off completely, add fried shallots to egg mixture and blend well.
8. Divide ingredients no: 4 to 8 equal parts and keep aside.
9. Place a non-stick biryani pot in the stove (Please don’t lit the flame now).
10. Grease its surface using a little oil.
11. Place one dosa and pour a little egg mixture.
12. Spread it so that egg mixture covers the surface of dosa completely.
13. Spread a part of raisins, cashews and couscous on its top.
14. Place second dosa on its top, followed by egg mixture and a part of cashews, raisins and couscous.
15. Continue the process till 8 layers are completed in a regular pattern.
16. On the top most layer, spread a little more cashew mixture.
17. Now light the stove and cook in low flame for 45 minutes with lid closed.
18. Pathiri budges out by this time.
19. Flip pathiri once and cook for 2 more minutes so that its top layer also turns golden brown.
20. You can cut pathiri to desired shapes and serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, August 1-14, 2010