Bitter gourd Ada (Paavakka Ada)
Ingredients for Bitter gourd Ada (Paavakka Ada):
1. Well-ripened bitter gourd chopped into small pieces – 1 cup
2. Coconut scrapped – 1.5 cups
3. Curry leaves chopped – 1 big spoon
4. Bird’s eye chilli (Kanthari) – As required
5. Shallots – 4 or 5
6. Tamarind – Gooseberry sized
7. Salt – For taste
How to prepare Bitter gourd Ada (Paavakka Ada)?
1. Add salt to bitter gourd and make a fine paste using a mixer.
2. Add remaining ingredients and grind again.
3. Spread ada to banana leaf pieces.
4. Heat a tawa and place them on it.
5. Flip both sides occasionally till ada is well cooked.
6. Serve hot.
Note: While choosing bitter gourd for preparing ada, chose well-ripen ones with red coloured seeds so that ada won’t tastes too much bitter.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine October 15-31, 2010