Atti Pathiri (Layer Pathiri)
Ingredients for Atti Pathiri (Layer Pathiri):
1. Kaima rice (Jeerakasala) – 1 glass
2. Eggs – 3
Coconut milk – 3 glasses
Cardamom powder – 1 small spoon
Salt – For taste
3. Oil – As required
4. Onions – 5, chopped fine
5. Ginger paste – 1 small spoon
Garlic paste – 1 small spoon
6. Green chillies chopped – 3
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
7. Pepper powder – 1 small spoon
Turmeric powder – ½ small spoon
Garam masala powder – 1 small spoon
8. Cooked prawns (adding salt and chilli powder) – 1 cup
Coriander leaves and mint leaves – A handful each
How to prepare Atti Pathiri (Layer Pathiri)?
1. Wash rice and grind it in a mixer adding ingredients no: 2 to prepare the batter.
2. Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions, followed by ginger and garlic.
3. Add green chillies and curry leaves, and sauté for a few moments.
4. Add the powders and mix well, followed by cooked prawns, coriander and mint leaves.
5. Sauté the contents and take off the flame.
6. Take a tiffin carrier with sufficient height or steel serving plate round in shape and grease it.
7. Pour one or two big spoons of batter and steam cook it.
8. When it’s half done, spread a little masala on its top.
9. Pour batter on its top and steam cook it.
10. When it’s almost done, prepare the third layer.
11. Continue the process till whole batter & masala are used, and all layers are well cooked.
12. Atti Pathiri is ready to serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, August 1-14, 2010