Thai Green Papaya – Dry Prawns Salad (Som Tham)
Ingredients for Thai Green Papaya – Dry Prawns Salad (Som Tham):
1. Garlic – 2 cloves
Bird’s eye chilli (Kanthari) – 1 or 2
2. Dried prawns – 2 big spoons
3. Jaggery or palm jaggery – As needed
4. Grounded roasted – ¼ cup
5. Beans – 1-inch pieces, 1/3 cup
6. Green papaya – 170g, cut into very thin pieces lengthwise (similar to noodles)
Cherry tomato – 6
7. Lemon juice and fish sauce – As required
How to prepare Thai Green Papaya – Dry Prawns Salad (Som Tham)?
1. Crush and make a fine paste of garlic and chillies.
2. Add dried prawns to it and crush it till it breaks to pieces.
3. Add 2 or 3 pieces of jaggery and add groundnut.
4. Crush again. But the mixture should never turn a paste.
5. Add beans to it and crush it slightly. Beans are to be split into two.
6. Add tomato and papaya and continue the process till tomato juice comes out.
7. Add a few drops of lemon juice and also a little fish sauce and mix well.
8. If needed you can add jaggery extra.
9. Serve as soon as the dish is prepared.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine 2013 October 1-14
Click to read a few vegetarian salad recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.