Pine Apple Barley Malt Payasam (Pine Apple – Yavum Mix Payasam)
Ingredients for Pine Apple Barley Malt Payasam (Pine Apple – Yavum Mix Payasam):
1. Pine apple – 1, cut into pieces
2. Ghee – ¼ cup
3. Jaggery – ¾ kilo
4. Barley Malt (Yavum rice) – ¼ cup
5. Raw rice (Pachari) – 2 table spoons
6. Coconut milk – From 1 ½ coconut
7. Cashews – 25 gm
8. Raisins – 15 gm
9. Coconut pieces fried in ghee – 2 tablespoons
10. Cardamom powder and cumin powder – A little each
11. Dry ginger powder – A little
12. Sugar – 1 tablespoon
13. Rock candy (Kalkandam) – 1 tablespoon
How to prepare Pine Apple Barley Malt Payasam (Pine Apple – Yavum Mix Payasam)?
1. Cook the pineapple and make a fine paste.
2. Heat an urli and pour ghee.
3. Add jaggery solution to it and allow the solution to boil.
4. Add pine apple mixture and fry again
5. Sprinkle a little sugar occasionally.
6. Continue the process till this mixture turns sticky.
7. Add 4 cups of 3rd extract coconut milk.
8. Mix well and boil till the contents reduce to almost half.
9. Add both the types of rice to it and stir well.
10. When the contents boil, add 2nd extract coconut milk.
11. Cook till your payasam thickens.
12. Add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and cumin powder.
13. Mix well and take off from flame.
14. Add 1st extract coconut milk and sprinkle rock candy.
15. Add raisins, cashews and coconut pieces on top and close the lid of your urli.
16. Open the lid after sometime and serve.
Grahalakshmi Magazine October 1-15, 2015
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.