Mixed Fruits – Rice Balls Payasam
Ingredients for Mixed Fruits – Rice Balls Payasam:
1. Kerala banana (Nendrapazham) – 1, big cut into round slices
2. Golden coloured raisins – 50 gm
3. Black coloured raisins – 50 gm
4. Mango fruits – 6, medium sized cut into pieces
5. Sugar – 200 gm
6. White jaggery – 250 gm
7. Boiled rice used for payasams (Puzhukkalari) – 100 gm
8. Coconut scrapped – 3
9. Cardamom – 3
10. Cashews – 10
11. Ghee – 50 gm
12. Cashews and raisins – As required
How to prepare Mixed Fruits – Rice Balls Payasam?
1. Keep aside 3 table spoons from scrapped coconut.
2. Extract 1st and 2nd milk from the remaining coconut.
3. Keep aside one cup of 2nd extract coconut milk.
4. Prepare sugar solution by melting sugar in water.
5. When it cools, add raisins and banana pieces and close the lid.
6. Make a thick paste of rice and cashews by grinding.
7. Add scrapped coconut and 2 spoons of sugar, and blend well the contents.
8. Make small balls from this rice mixture.
9. Make a fine paste of mango pieces adding one cup of 2nd extract coconut milk and sugar.
10. Heat 2nd extract of coconut milk in a thick bottomed pan and boil it adding cardamom and a pinch of salt.
11. Add rice balls and stir continuously. Cook it well.
12. Add banana pieces and raisins soaked in sugar solution little by little. Keep stirring.
13. Fruits should not be overcooked.
14. Add jaggery solution to it and slowly mix it.
15. Filter mango mixture and add to your payasam.
16. Cook in low flame for two minutes and add 1st extract of coconut milk.
17. Cook for next two minutes, and take off from flame before it starts boiling.
18. Fry raisins and cashews in ghee and add to payasam.
Grahalakshmi Magazine October 1-15, 2015
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.