Ingredients for Kaara Chips:
1. Maida – 2 cups
2. Vanaspati – 1.5 big spoons
Salt – ½ small spoon
Asafoetida powder – ½ small spoon
Chilli powder – ½ small spoon full
Cumin seeds – ½ small spoon full
Black sesame seeds – ½ small spoon full
3. Water – ¾ cup, approximately
4. Vanaspati – 1.5 big spoons
5. Puttu powder – 3 big spoons
6. Oil – For frying
How to prepare Kaara Chips?
1. Blend well maida and transfer to a bowl.
2. Make a pit at the centre and add ingredients no: 2.
3. Slowly mix maida with ingredients placed at the centre.
4. Add water in between.
5. When the contents are kneaded well, make four equal sized balls from them.
6. Spread the first ball lengthwise.
7. Apply a coat of Vanaspati on its surface and sprinkle puttu powder.
8. Repeat the same process for second ball and place it above the first.
9. Roll both these layers together and then spread it using a chapatti rolling pin.
10. Spread it about 2.5 inch width.
11. Now using a knife, cut into ¼ inch pieces in the slanting position.
12. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry these pieces.
13. Kaara Chips should be golden brown and crispy.
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine February 15-29, 2012
Kaara Chips – Recipe 2
Here is yet another recipe of Kaara Chips published in Vanitha Magazine years later. This recipe was published in 2018, April 15-30 edition. You can also refer this one; there are only slight variations if compared with the above one.
Ingredients for Kaara Chips (Recipe 2):
1. Maida (All purpose flour) – 1/2 kg
Vanaspati – 2 big spoons
Pepper crushed – 1 small spoon
Red chillies crushed – 1 big spoon
Asafoetida powder – 1 small spoon
Sesame seeds – 1 small spoon
Cumin seeds – 1 small spoon
Salt – 1 small spoon
Water – As required
2. Vanaspati – 2 big spoons melted
3. Puttu powder – 1/2 cup
4. Oil – For frying
How to prepare Kaara Chips (Recipe 2)?
1. Knead dough mixing ingredients no: 1 and make 10 balls out of them.
2. Spread maida flour and make thin round shaped chapatis from the balls.
3. Apply a thin layer of melted vanaspati on each rolled chapattis and spread a little puttu powder (rice flour with slightly big granules).
4. Place one chapati on the top of another and roll it lengthwise. Thus you get 5 rolls.
5. Place a moist cloth on its top and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Now spread each roll in 2-inch width, without giving extra pressure.
7. Chop each roll in slanting position with each piece 1/4 inch thickness.
8. Deep fry in hot oil.
You can read a few more chips/pakoda snack recipes here. Click on the gallery images to read.