Vaazhappoo Ilaneer Payasam (Banana Flower – Tender Coconut Payasam)
Ingredients for Vaazhappoo Ilaneer Payasam (Banana Flower – Tender Coconut Payasam):
1. Banana flower – 1 kg
2. Ghee – 200 milli
3. Kerala banana (Nendrapazham) – ½ kg, cooked and smashed
4. Jaggery – 1.5 kg, boiled and dissolved in water
5. Coconut milk, second extract – 1.25 litres
6. Coconut milk, first extract – 3/4 litres
7. Cardamom powder – 1.5 small spoons
Cumin powder – 1 small spoon
Dry ginger powder – ½ small spoon
8. Tender coconut cut into small pieces – 200 gm
9. Ghee – 50 ml
10. Cashews – 25 gm
Raisins – 25 gm
How to prepare Vaazhappoo Ilaneer Payasam (Banana Flower – Tender Coconut Payasam)?
1. Chop banana flowers to fine pieces and soak in water.
2. Then drain off the water content completely.
3. Heat ghee in thick bottomed pan and sauté banana flowers.
4. When banana flowers are sauted well, add cooked banana to it and sauté again.
5. Add jaggery solution to it and mix well.
6. Add second extract coconut milk to it, and when the payasam boils, cook in low flame.
7. When payasam gets thickened, add ingredients no: 7 to it and finally tender coconut pieces.
8. When the contents boil well, add first extract of coconut milk.
9. When payasam gets well heated, put the flame off.
10. Fry raisins and cashews in ghee and add to your Banana Flower – Tender Coconut Payasam.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine, September 1-14, 2016
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.