Navara Rice Payasam (Njavara Ari Payasam)
Both Navara rice (Njavara rice) and Palm Sugar Candy (Panam Kalkkand) have medicinal values in Ayurveda, and when these two ingredients are used together to prepare a sweet dish, children will love it, and they get medicinal benefits of both. Njavara Ari Payasam is special for any occasion too.
Ingredients for Navara Rice Payasam (Njavara Ari Payasam):
1. Navara rice – 100 gm
2. Coconut milk 1st extract – 1 cup
Coconut milk 2nd extract – 1/2 cup
Coconut milk 3rd extract – 1 cup
3. Milk – 3 cups
Water – ½ cup
4. Palm Sugar Candy (Panam Kalkkand) – 160 gm
5. Cardamom powder – ¼ small spoon
How to prepare Navara Rice Payasam (Njavara Ari Payasam)?
1. Wash and clean rice and soak for one hour.
2. Drain water from rice, and cook it adding coconut milk third extract, milk and water.
3. When rice is cooked add palm sugar candy and allow it to dissolve completely.
4. Add second extract of coconut milk to it and cardamom powder and mix well.
5. Allow the contents to boil.
6. When your payasam gets thickened and sticks on to the backside of ladle, add first extract of coconut milk.
7. After 1 minute, put the flame off.
8. Allow your Navara Rice Payasam to cool a little bit and serve.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine, September 1-14, 2016
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.