Varuthupperi for Kozhikode Sadya
Varuthupperi and Sharkkara Upperi are placed on left tip of a banana leaf for a traditional Kerala sadya. In fact they are placed as the first item of Kerala’s traditional sadya served on a banana leaf. They are served as round chips or 4-cut chips. Read yet another recipe here.
Ingredients for Varuthupperi for Kozhikode Sadya:
1. Raw banana after removing skin, split into four and finely sliced – 1 cup
2. Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
3. Coconut oil – 2 cups
4. Salt – As required
How to prepare Varuthupperi for Kozhikode Sadya?
1. Mix turmeric powder in a little water.
2. Wash the cut banana pieces in this water and drain excess water.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the banana chips
4. When chips are almost done sprinkle salt water.
5. When it’s fried well, drain chips from hot oil.
6. Continue the process till whole banana chips are fried.
7. Serve once it is cooled a little bit.
Vanitha Magazine September 1-14, 2016
You can read more banana snacks recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.