Unnipindi Ada Payasam
Let us make this Onam a bit different by making Payasam/Pradhaman using vegetables from kitchen. I shall give you a simple sweet recipe that suits well for the occasion, published on Mathrubhumi Nagaram on August 30. 2017. Unnipindi or Vaazhapindi is the healthy stem of banana used to make a wide range of healthy and traditional dishes. The interior white part of plantain stem is called pindi, which is rich in fiber content.
Ingredients for Unnipindi (Vaazha Pindi) Ada Payasam:
1. Unnipindi (Vaazha Pindi) cleaned and cut into small pieces – 1 cup
2. Palada – ¼ cup
3. Thin extract of coconut milk – 2 cups
4. Thick extract of coconut milk – ½ cup
5. Jaggery or Karipetti – 1 cup
6. Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
7. Dry ginger powder (Chukku) – ¼ tsp
8. Ghee – 3 or 4 tablespoon
9. Coconut pieces sliced thin – 2 tablespoon
How to prepare Unnipindi (Vaazha Pindi) Ada Payasam?
1. Cook palada and unni pindi using the thin coconut milk.
2. Take water in another vessel, and boil jaggery/karipetti to prepare the solution. Filter it.
3. Add thick coconut milk to thick palada-unni pindi mixture, add cardamom and dry ginger powder and mix the contents well.
4. Cook for just 1 minute and put the flame off.
5. Heat 2 table spoon ghee and fry coconut pieces till golden brown.
6. Add these coconut pieces to Unnipindi (Vaazha Pindi) Ada Payasam and put the flame off.
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.