Cheeda is most commonly prepared during Janmashtami celebrations of South India, and is placed in pooja as offerings to Lord Krishna. Also read its salt variant recipe here.
Ingredients for Sweet Cheeda:
1. Water – 2 glasses
2. Cumin seeds – 2 small spoons
Garlic – ½ of 1 cluster
3. Vanaspati – 1 small spoon
4. Rava – ¾ cup
5. Rice powder – ½ kg
6. Oil – To fry
7. Jaggery – ¼ kilo
How to prepare Sweet Cheeda?
1. Boil water and add cumin seeds and garlic.
2. Add vanaspati to it.
3. When it boils, add rava and keep stirring.
4. Add rice powder, mix well and put the flame off.
5. Make small balls out of it and press once in banana leaf to get the design.
6. Heat oil and cook all cheedas.
7. Allow it to drain oil completely and wait for two days for this process.
8. Melt jaggery and boil till it turns thread like and add cheeda to it.
9. Mix well and serve.
Source: Vanitha Magazine September 1-15 2017
You can read a few more deep fried sweet recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.