Ingredients for Kovilakam Kaalan:
1. Ripen mango fruits – 4
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Salt – As required
2. Jaggery solution – 2 big spoons
3. Sour curd – 1.5 litres
4. Coconut scrapped – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 2 pinch
Green chillies – 8
5. Ghee – 1 big spoon
Mustard – 1 small spoon
Curry leaves – 2 or 3 stalks
Red chillies – 5
6. Fenugreek powder – A pinch
How to prepare Kovilakam Kaalan?
1. Peel off the skin of mangoes using hands.
2. Cook the mangoes in a cheena chatti (karahi/kadai) adding water, salt and turmeric powder. (Water should be in the same level of mangoes; not excess).
3. When water almost evaporates, add jaggery solution and boil well till it thickens and almost dry.
4. Grind well ingredients no: 4 for the gravy of your Kovilakam Kaalan.
5. Mix it with curd and add to the cooked mangoes.
6. Stir continuously and when it boils, take it off from flame.
7. Continue the stirring process for a few minutes more, even if your Kaalan is removed from flame. Otherwise curd may separate.
8. Heat ghee and sauté ingredients no: 5. Red chillies should be used as such.
9. Add a pinch of fenugreek powder and serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 1-14 2017
Read a few more mango fruit recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.