Ingredients for Kaayada:
1. Unakkalari (Brown rice used for payasam) – 1 kg
2. Black gram (Uzhunnu) – 2.5 cups
3. Coconut – 1
4. Cumin seeds – 2 small spoons
Red chillies – 8
Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Sugar – 2 small spoons
Salt – As required
5. Sesame seeds – 2 big spoons
6. Oil – For frying
How to prepare Kaayada?
1. Soak rice for 2 hours.
2. Fry black gram and powder it. It should be well powdered.
3. Extract milk from scrapped coconut – 1st extract 1 cup, 2nd extract and 3rd extract together 1 cup.
4. Grind together ingredients no: 4 along with soaked rice adding second extract coconut milk (half cup extract 2nd and 3rd combined).
5. Mix it well with black gram powder, sesame seeds and coconut milk first extract.
6. Prepare dough, and it should be more stiff than chappathi.
7. Make small gooseberry sized balls from dough.
8. Use a fresh towel to press and spread each ball to round shapes.
9. Deep fry till brown in hot oil.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 1-14 2017
Read a few more rice flour snack recipes. Click on the images in the gallery to read.