Idichu Pizhinja Payasam
Measurement of rice is given in ‘Idangazhi’ for this preparation in Vanitha. 1 Idangazhi is equal to 4 naazhi, and is roughly equal to 1 kilogram (1200 ml).
Ingredients for Idichu Pizhinja Payasam:
1. Unakkalari (Brown rice used for payasam) – 1 Idangazhi
2. Jaggery – ½ kg
3. Scrapped coconut – 2
4. Dry ginger and cumin powdered – 1 small spoon
How to prepare Idichu Pizhinja Payasam?
1. Wash rice and cook it adding 2 cup water.
2. Extract 1st, 2nd and 3rd milk from scrapped coconut.
3. Prepare jaggery solution.
4. Add third milk first to rice and cook well.
5. When it’s almost done, add second extract coconut milk along with jaggery solution.
6. When payasam gets thickened add first extract.
7. When it boils well, add dry ginger and cumin powder, mix well and put the flame off.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 1-14 2017