Aval Ada (Rice Flakes Ada)
Ila ada is a traditional sweet associated with Kerala cuisine. Here rice, along with jaggery and scrapped coconut mixture are folded together in plantain leaves, and steam cooked later. As it’s steam cooked without oil content, it’s a healthy snack. In Aval Ada, healthy rice flakes (aval) is used as filling.
Ingredients for Aval Ada:
1. Aval (Rice flakes) – 250 gm
2. Coconut – 2, scrapped
3. Sugar – 1.5 cups
Ghee – 1 big spoon
Cardamom powder – 1 small spoon
4. Rice powder fried – ½ kg
5. Boiled water – As required
Salt – A pinch
6. Plantain leaf pieces – As required
How to prepare Aval Ada?
1. Mix scrapped coconut and aval together, and keep it aside for half an hour.
2. Add sugar, ghee and cardamom powder to this mixture after half an hour and use hands to mix the ingredients well. It’s the filling used for Aval ada.
3. Add salt and water to rice powder and mix well. Water content should be enough to make small balls out of it.
4. Make small balls and keep aside.
5. Dip plantain leaf pieces in boiling water, and take them when leaves slightly change colour.
6. Using cotton cloth remove full water content from leaves and spread each ball on each leaf pieces.
7. Balls should be spread very thin on leaf bits.
8. Place a little aval mixture on the top and fold the leaf. Repeat the process for every rice balls.
9. Steam cook them to get delicious aval ada. Before you place each one in steam cooker, fold both the ends and upper side of each banana foldings too.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 1-14, 2017
You can read a few more Rice Flakes recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.