Top 25 Bollywood Songs Featuring Sharmila Tagore
Sharmila Tagore – The diva of Bollywood in the 1960s is widely regarded as one of the top actresses all time. From village belle roles to ultra-modern social girl, over the years Tagore established herself as a sex symbol, the tag which she always loved. Sharmila played the female lead of Bollywood’s all-time favourite stars like Rajesh Khanna, Dharmendra and Shashi Kapoor, and remained popular and successful with all of them.
Sharmila has been a part of many popular songs of glorious yesterdays and it’s not possible to list all of them. Yet it’s my humble attempt to pay tribute to one of the glorious stars of silver screen. Here I list my popular Sharmila songs belonging to 1960s & 1970s.
1. Mere Sapnon Ki Rani from Aradhana – I would like to start off the list with this film and song which changed the destiny of Bollywood and many artists associated with it. Music was composed by S. D. Burman, written by Anand Bhakshi and sung by Kishore Kumar. The song featured Rajesh Khanna, Sujit Kumar and Sharmila Tagore. Though Sharmila’s character didn’t utter even a single line in this song, this list is incomplete without ‘Mere Sapnon Ki Rani’. Also read: Mere Sapnon Ki Rani is inspired from this English song.
2. Gunguna Rahi Hai Bawre from Aradhana – All the songs of the film were extremely popular, and it’s one of the two duets sung by Rafi in this film. He sung this duet aside Asha Bhosle, and the leading pair looks dashing in this romantic song.
3. Kora Kaagaz Tha from Aradhana – This duet was mentioned for Kishore Kumar, and he sang it with ease aside Lata Mangeshkar. But the songs which changed the destiny were the solos – Roop Tera Mastana and Mere Sapnon Ki Rani, originally meant for Mohd. Rafi. Kora Kaagaz featuring Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore too was extremely popular, and played a significant role in establishing them as one of the leading pairs of Bollywood. Also read: Top 16 Bollywood Albums of S. D. Burman – Kishore Kumar combination.
4. Roop Tera Mastana from Aradhana – Yet another masterpiece song from the movie, which revived the career of Kishore Kumar and made him the most celebrated singer of Bollywood. Similar to Mere Sapnon Ki Rani, it’s a solo track. But list of Sharmila’s songs is incomplete without this sensuous solo. Instruments for its music were played by some of the great legends of Bollywood cinema. Manohari Singh played the saxophone, Homi Mullan played the duggi and the legendary Kersi Lord played the accordion. The song sequence of more than 3 ½ minutes featuring Khanna & Tagore was pictured in a single shot, which is very rare in Bollywood. Also read: Top 50 Solo Tracks and Duets sung by Kishore Kumar.
5. Chanda Hai Tu from Aradhana – This particular solo track sung by Lata Mangeshkar is not a romantic one, but so special to me. Also read: My childhood memories related to Aradhana. So I would like to add this memorable track to Sharmila Tagore’s song. Music composed by S. D. Burman and lyrics written by Anand Bakshi are indeed nice. The movie also included one popular title track sung by the composer himself, which gave him National award for best playback singer – Safal Hogi Teri Aradhana, featuring Sharmila Tagore.
6. Deewana Hua Badal from Kashmir Ki Kali – The movie marked the Bollywood debut of Tagore, and since then her pairing with Shammi Kapoor has always been appreciated. The movie’s extremely popular music was composed by O.P. Nayyar, and the lyrics were penned by S.H. Bihari. The movie included many chartbuster and evergreen tracks sung by Rafi and Asha, particularly this one. The song was beautifully pictured in the lakes and boats of Kashmir.
7. Isaron Isaron from Kashmir Ki Kali – I would like to include this popular duet also in this list. Kashmir Ki Kali is always regarded as one of the best works of O. P. Nayyar and it will always remain so. The movie is also known for some of the extremely popular solo tracks of Rafi – Kisi Na Kise Se, Yeh Chand Sa Roshan Chehra, Hai Duniya Usiki Zamana Usika and Subhanallah Haseen Chehra. The movie also included one more popular duet of Rafi and Asha – Meri Jaan Balle Balle.
8. Kuch Dil Ne Kaha from Anupama – Lataji has told in many interviews, this amazing composition by Hemant Kumar is one of her best 10 favourites. The song was pictured on Sharmila Tagore and Dharmendra in black & white format. This song included nature’s voice like birds’ chirping and is so close to nature, and its soothing effect definitely finds place in my list. It’s one of the best Hindi songs composed by Hemant Kumar. This song was based on raga – Bhimplasi. Read the popular songs based on this raga. The lyrics were written by Kaifi Azmi.
9. Raat Ke Humsafar from An Evening in Paris – The movie starring Shammi Kapoor and Sharmila Tagore was a huge hit of 1960s, and Sharmila achieved the status of ‘Sex Symbol’ after wearing a bikini in this film. In fact she insisted on wearing a swimming suit for the film, though its director Shakti Samanta was not interested to do so. The duo has given many hit movies to Bollywood like Kashmir Ki Kali, An Evening in Paris, Charitraheen, Amanush, Amar Prem, Sawan Ki Ghata and the most notable – Aradhana, which played a magnificent role in grooming Tagore’s career in Bollywood as well.
An Evening in Paris is known for some of the chartbuster hits featuring Sharmila Tagore and Shammi Kapoor, and Mohd. Rafi sang all these hit solo tracks. The highly energetic tracks – An Evening in Paris, Akele Akele, Deewane Ka and Aasmaan Se Aaya belong to this movie. Hasrat Jaipuri and Shailendra Singh wrote lyrics for the movie.
10. Wada Karo from Aa Gale Lag Jaa – Sharmila Tagore remained the most successful co-star of Shashi Kapoor, and they together worked in around 14 movies including National award winning – New Delhi Times. This chartbuster song was composed by R. D. Burman, and was lovely filmed. The duet was sung by Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. Lyrics of the movie were penned by Sahir Ludhianvi. The movie included one more popular song sung by Kishore Kumar and featuring the lead pair – Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa. The song also had a duet version sung by Sushma Shrestha and Kishore Kumar. Also read: Top hits of Sushma Shrestha.
11. Mere Dil Mein Aaj Kya Hai from Daag – Though it’s a solo track sung by Kishore Kumar, I would like to include this extremely popular romantic track in this list featuring Sharmila Tagore songs. Rajesh Khanna played lead role in this film, and there are many wonderful tracks in the film composed by Laxmikanth Pyarelal. Daag: A Poem of Love was produced and directed by Yash Chopra, and was noticed for its unique climax. Lyrics were penned by Sahir Ludhianvi.
12. Hum Aur Tum Tum Aur Hum from Daag – This song sung by Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar definitely deserves a position in this list. As told above, its super hit music was composed by Laxmikanth Pyarelal and lyrics penned by Sahir Ludhianvi. The popular tracks of the film – Ab Chahe Ma Roothe Yaa Baba, Ni Main Yaar Manana Ni, Hawa Chale Kaise and Jab Bhi Jee Chahe also featured Sharmila Tagore. In short, the most popular tracks of the movie featured Sharmila.
13. Ab Ke Sajan Sawan Mein from Chupke Chupke – This particular song sung by Lata Mangeshkar was noticed for its humour elements. The song also featured Dharmendra and Om Prakash. Music was composed by Sachin Dev Burman, and lyrics written by Anand Bakshi. The movie also featured one of the rare duets of two great legends of Hindi cinema, Rafi & Kishore for the song, “Sa Re Ga Ma”.
14. Kise Raah Mein from Mere Humsafar – One of the top songs of the film featuring Sharmila Tagore and Jitendra, this title track sung by Mukesh and Lata Mangeshkar is really marvelous. Music was composed by Kalyanji-Anandji, and its songs were penned by Anand Bakshi. The movie also included one popular solo track featuring Sharmila. Mera Pardesi Na Aaya was sung by Lata Mangeshkar. Also read: Top 30 albums of Kalyanji-Anandji.
15. Gar Tum Bhula Na Doge from Yakeen – This extremely melodious romantic track has two solo versions in Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd. Rafi’s voice, and both songs featured Sharmila Tagore. Dharmendra played a double role in this thriller. Music was composed by Shankar Jaikishan, and lyrics penned by Hasrat Jaipuri.
16. Dil Ki Awaaz Bhi Sun from Humsaaya – This melodious solo of Mohd Rafi featuring Sharmila Tagore and Joy Mukherjee worth mention in my list. Music of this spy thriller was composed by O. P. Nayyar. Joy Mukherjee played dual role while Mala Sinha and Sharmila, the love interests of both these characters. The movie featured an extremely popular solo track of Asha Bhosle featuring Mala Sinha and Joy Mukherjee – Woh Haseen Dard De Do. Lyrics of both these tracks were written by Shevan Rizvi. Also read: Top songs sung by Rafi in O. P. Nayyar compositions.
17. Raina Beeti Jaye from Amar Prem – This classical track sung by Lata Mangeshkar was enough to break the popular myth that R. D. Burman can compose only fast tracks. This particular track always remains special among Burman da’s compositions. Also read: R. D. Burman as an actor. The song set in an unusual blend of two Ragas, Todi and Khamaj is widely regarded as her finest classical solo of the decade. This particular track was enough to mute critics who always criticized R. D. Burman for the heavy influence of western tunes in his compositions.
Amar Prem included some of the best tracks of Rajesh Khanna-R.D.Burman-Anand Bakshi combination. The solo tracks of Kishore da, Kuch To Log Kahenge and Chingari Koi Bhadke featured Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore. The movie also included a solo track of Lata featuring Sharmila Tagore – Bada Natkhat Hai Yeh, which fall in lines with Chanda Hai Tu of Aradhana.
18. Jo Tumko Ho Pasand from Safar – Safar contains some of the popular songs of Kalyanji-Anandji. The song, Hum The Jinke Sahare featured Sharmila Tagore. Yet I would love to choose this extremely romantic song sung by Mukesh, featuring Tagore and Feroz Khan. Lyrics were penned by Indeevar. The movie also included one of the most popular songs of the times – Zindagi Ka Safar sung by Kishore Kumar. This song also featured Sharmila Tagore, aside Rajesh Khanna.
19. Na Jaa Kahi Ab Na Jaa from Mere Humdum Mere Dost – Though it’s a popular solo track sung by Rafi, it definitely deserves mention in the list. The song featured Dharmendra and Sharmila Tagore, one of the most popular and celebrated jodis of late 1960s. This particular song is always featured among the evergreen solo tracks sung by Rafi. Music was composed by music duo Laxmikant Pyarelal and penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
20. Chalo Sajna from Mere Humdum Mere Dost – This popular song featuring Dharmendra and Sharmila Tagore was composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal and penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri. Lata Mangeshkar’s voice was used for this song. The movie also included popular Rafi solos – Chhalka Yeh Jaam and Hui Sham Unka Khayal Aa Gaya.
21. Yehi Woh Jagah Hai from Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi – The movie starring Sharmila Tagore and Biswajit Chatterjee was a suspense thriller, and included a few popular songs composed by O. P. Nayyar. As usual, Nayyar used Asha Bhosle’s voice to record majority of its tracks. This particular solo track featuring its lead stars is definitely the popular song of the movie. S. H. Bihari penned its lyrics.
22. Dil Doondta Hai from Mausam – The movie bagged Sharmila Tagore her first National award. Also read: Actors who received National award for dual roles. Mausam was one among the last works of legendary music composer, Madan Mohan, and was released posthumously. This particular duet featured one of the rare voices of Bollywood, Bhupinder Singh and Lata Mangeshkar is the co-singer. The song featured Sanjeev Kumar and Sharmila Tagore. Chhadi Re Chhadi sung by Mohammad Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar and Ruke Ruke Se Kadam sung by Lata also deserve mention. Gulzar who directed this film, penned its lyrics too.
23. Haat Aaya Hai from Dil Aur Mohabbat – This popular duet was sung by Asha Bhosle and Mahendra Kapoor, and featured Joy Mukherjee and Sharmila Tagore. Music was composed by O.P. Nayyar, and lyrics penned by Shewan Rizvi.
24. Mein Pyasa Tum Sawan from Faraar – One of the rare duets featuring Amitabh Bachchan and Sharmila Tagore, songs of Faraar were composed by Kalyanji-Anandji. Rajendra Krishan penned the lyrics.
25. Kabhi Raat Din Hum Door The from Aamne Saamne – Sharmila Tagore flaunted her body in a swimming suit for the song, O Mere Bechain Dil Ko Chain. Kabhi Raat Din Hum Door The is yet another popular duet of the film sung by Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar. The song featured Shashi Kapoor and Sharmila Tagore, the popular onscreen pair of late 1960s and early 1970s. Anand Bakshi penned the lyrics tunned by Kalyanji Anandji.
Here I come to end of the most popular Bollywood songs featuring Sharmila Tagore. I have also briefly mentioned many of the popular songs of Sharmila. Hope you will love this list. Please leave your comments below.