Rajendra Kumar – Top 25 Bollywood Songs of the Jubilee Star
There is only one Jubilee Kumar in Bollywood. Most of his films of 1960s were jubilee hits. Though he didn’t get any awards for his acting career, he remained one of the top stars of Bollywood. He was mostly seen as a silent hero in most of his films, through his charm he conquered millions of hearts. In true sense, he was a Jubilee star, only a few stars have achieved his position in Bollywood.
For the star whose movies ran at least 25 weeks, I dedicate top 25 songs featuring him. In fact there was a time in the mid-1960s when his six or seven films used run in packed houses and celebrated silver jubilee as well. After the great trio actors of 1960s, he remained one of the most cashable actors of the era. Why not! His charm and smile smitten movie buffs a lot, and romantic songs filmed on him played a magnificent part too. While Mohammed Rafi remained Rajendra Kumar’s ghost voice during his golden period, Mukesh too has also been credited to a few hit songs. Let us see, which Bollywood songs find place in the list of ‘Top 25 songs of Jubilee Star’.
Jubilee Kumar Jubilee Hits
1. Title track of Mere Mehboob – I would like to begin the list with the most popular song of Rajendra Kumar. The movie was the highest grosser of the year 1963 and also played a significant role in establishing his career. The song also featured Sadhana, and is regarded as an iconic song of Hindi cinema and a popular romantic song all time. Music of Mere Mehboob was composed by Naushad and lyrics penned by Shakeel Badayuni. The song was pictured in the University Hall of Aligarh Muslim University. After the huge success of the film, Rajendra Kumar-Sadhana became a successful pair of 1960s. Their Arzoo in 1965 too was a box office blockbuster.
2. Aye Husn Zara Jaag from Mere Mehboob – Yet another popular Mohd. Rafi solo from the movie, the song featured Ameeta aside Rajendra Kumar and Sadhana. After the huge success of this musical hit, Rafi’s voice got permanently fixed with Rajendra Kumar. The popular sad number, Yaad Mein Teri sung by Rafi and Lata featured both the lead actors.
3. Baharom Phool Barsao from Suraj – This Rafi solo too is regarded as one of the most popular songs of Jubilee Kumar. Quite co-incidence, the song also had ‘Mere Mehboob’ tag which has always proved lucky to the Jubilee star. Music was composed by Shankar-Jaikishen, and lyrics penned by Hasrat Jaipuri. The movie with several popular songs won Filmfare award for best music direction of 1966. A few songs were written by Shailendra as well. Titli Udi, Chehre Pe Giri Zulfein, Kaise Samjhaoon Badi Nasamajh Ho and Itna Hai Tumse Pyaar Mujhe are other popular songs of the movie.
4. Title track of Aas Ki Pancchi – The title track sung by Mukesh is indeed a beautiful song composed by Shankar Jaikishan. Tum Roothi Raho Main Manata Rahun sung by Mukesh is yet another popular song of the film featuring the lead pair. Like Sadhana, Rajendra Kumar’s pairing with Vyjayanthimala was well appreciated those days. They together worked in 6 movies – Sangam, Suraj, Aas Ki Pancchi, Saathi, Gawaar and Zindagi.
5. Yeh Mera Prem Patr Padkar from Sangam – An evergreen romantic song, the song featured Rajendra Kumar and Vyjayanthimala. The lovely lyrics were penned by Hasrat Jaipuri. This love triangle was the highest-grossing film of the year, and if inflation rates are adjusted, the second highest grosser of the decade. The movie proved to be a milestone of Kumar’s career, and he also got a Filmfare nomination in supporting role. Raj Kapoor completed the love triangle. Shankar Jaikishan’s popular music was nominated at Filmfare.
6. Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega from Sangham – Yet another popular romantic track from the film, it featured all the three stars. A swan song of romance, it was lovely pictured as well. Music was composed by Shankar Jaikishen and lyrics penned by Shailendra. Rajendra Kumar was featured in ‘Dost Dost Na Raha’, though it’s regarded as a Raj Kapoor song. It’s one of the rarest occasions, when a particular song got nominations for best playback singer, lyrics and music. Shailendra wrote its lyrics.
7. Yeh Phoolon Ki Rani from Arzoo – As a solo hero, Arzoo is one of the biggest hits of his career. His pairing with Sadhana was well appreciated, so are its beautiful songs composed by Shankar Jaikishen. Rajendra Kumar received Filmfare nomination for Best Actor. There are many popular solos sung by Rafi for Kumar –Ae Phoolon Ki Rani, Ae Nargise Mastana, Aji Humse Bachkar Kahan Jaiye Ga and Chhalke Teri Ankhon Se, and there is not even a single weak track in the album. In fact, Lata Mangeshkar’s Aji Rooth Kar Ab Kahan Jaiyega was the USP of the music album.
8. Aaja Tujhko Pukare Mere Geet from Geet – Music composed by Kalyanji Anandji was indeed popular, and lyrics were penned by Anand Bakshi. The duet sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Rafi was penned by Anand Bhakshi. The song featured Mala Sinha aside Jubilee Star.
9. Tum Kamsin Ho Nadaan Ho from Ayee Milan Ki Bela – Saira Bhanu and Rajendra Kumar made a beautiful pair in this romantic film. It’s the only film where Dharmendra appeared in a negative role. Songs were composed by Shankar Jaikishan, and this teasing number sung by Mohammed Rafi had a female version in Lata’s voice too. Hasrat Jaipuri wrote the lyrics.
10. O Sanam Tere Ho Gayen Hum from Ayee Milan Ki Bela – There is a popular duet in the film sung by Rafi and Lata. The song was penned by Shailendra. The title track penned by Shailendra too got noticed. Tumko Hamari Umar Lag Jaye is a popular Lata solo from the film.
11. Palkon Ke Peeche Se from Talaash – Rajendra Kumar & Sharmila Tagore remained top stars of 1960s. Yet they got opportunity to work together for one movie only. It happened only in the late 1960s. This high-budget movie released in 1969 had some beautiful songs too. Music was composed by S. D. Burman and lyrics penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri. The movie had Helen’s sensational and popular cabaret – Karle Pyar Karle, sung by Asha Bhosle. The song also featured Rajendra Kumar.
12. Title track from Aap Aye Bahaar Ayee – Rajendra Kumar-Sadhana Shivdasani pair has given some classic movies to Bollywood fans, and the movie Aap Aye Bahaar Ayee released in 1971 had some classic songs as well. The movie can be classified into the second innings of the talented actress. Music was composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal. The duo has composed only lesser number of songs for Jubilee star, and this album is just extra-ordinary.
13. Tumko Bhi To Aisa Kuchh Hota from Aap Aye Bahaar Ayee – It has been only in rare occasions where Kishore Kumar’s voice has been used to record a song for Rajendra Kumar, and hence this beautiful duet sung by Kishore and Lata definitely deserves a position in my list. Similar is the case of Laxmikanth Pyarelal, who got associated with this film. Rest of the tracks was sung by Rafi. The movie also included the popular songs – Mujhe Teri Mohabbat Ka Sahara, Tare Kitne Neel Gagan Pe Tare, Koyel Kyon Gaaye and Poochhe Jo Koi Mujhse. In fact all the songs of the movie are timeless classics. Kishore has sung for Rajendra Kumar only in three occasions – Aap Aye Bahaar Ayee (1971), Sunehra Sansar (1975) and Aahuti (1978). Though 1960s was the glorious era of Jubilee star, and Kishore has been the ghost voice for many popular stars in the era, it took many years for music directors to finally try Kishore’s voice for Jubilee star, and Laxmikanth-Pyarelal was the first one to do so.
14. Tera Pyar Ka Aasra from Dhool Ka Phool – Dhool Ka Phool is perhaps the only film where Rajendra Kumar played a lead role with negative shades. This social drama directed by Yash Chopra featured Mala Sinha and Nanda in female leads. Dhool Ka Phool is the most popular work of composer Datta Naik and its evergreen songs were penned by Sahir Ludhianvi. In terms of lyrics, Tera Pyar Ka Aasra is perhaps the most popular one, and the movie also included “Tu Hindu Banega Na Musalman Banega” sung by Rafi. Tera Pyar Ka Aasra is a beautiful duet by Lata Mangeshkar and Mahendra Kapoor featuring Mala Sinha and Rajendra Kumar.
15. Jo Tum Muskura Do from Dhool Ka Phool – Yet another popular duet from the film featuring the lead stars, the song was sung by Asha Bhosle and Mahendra Kapoor. Jhukti Ghata Gaati Hawa is yet another popular duet sung by them. Datta Naik gave some of the finest songs of Mahendra Kapoor’s career through Dhool Ka Phool.
16. Yaad Na Jaye Beete Dinon Ki from Dil Ek Mandir – Whenever songs of Jubilee star comes into discussion, this particular sad number can never miss the list. Rafi added some extra life to this soulful melody. It’s one of the finest solos of Rafi- Shankar Jaikishan combination. Shailendra penned its lyrics. The movie also included some of the extremely popular tracks of 1963 – Rafi’s Yahan Koi Nahi Tere Mere Siva, and Ruk Jaa Raat & Hum Tere Pyar Mein – Lata Solos and the title track.
17. Teri Pyari Pyari Surat Ko from Sasural – This particular solo of Rafi was extremely popular in the 1960s, and still popular. Rafi received Filmfare award for best playback singer for this song. The song also featured south Indian actress B. Saroja Devi. Its beautiful lyrics penned by Hasrat Jaipuri were extremely popular. Music was created by Shankar Jaikishan. Ek Sawal Main Karoon is a popular performing song of the film featuring the lead pair and sung by Rafi and Lata.
18. Kaun Hai Jo from Jhuk Gaya Aasman – This Rafi solo featuring Rajendra Kumar can never miss this list. Music was composed by Shankar Jaikishan and lyrics penned by Hasrat Jaipuri. The song was actually inspired from Elvis Presley’s “Marguerita” from Fun in Acapulco album. Though the movie was a flop, it included some of the popular tracks of 1960s – Unse Mili Nazar Ke Mere Hosh Ud Gai, Mere Tumhare Beech Mein and Kahan Chal Diye Idhar To Aao.
19. Mera Pyar Bhi Tu Hai from Saathi – The movie starred Vyjayanthimala in the female lead and Simi Garewal as second lead. The film’s soundtrack was composed by Naushad while the lyrics were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri. Mukesh and Suman Kalyanpur did the playback singing for this popular duet. Mere Jeevan Saathi is yet another popular song from the film.
20. Husnwale Tera Jawab Nahin from Gharana – The song featured Asha Parekh aside Rajendra Kumar. Rafi sang this popular solo composed by Ravi, and was nominated in the best singer category at Filmfare awards. Ravi received Filmfare award for best music for this film, and Shakeel Badayuni too for the beautiful lyrics for this particular song. It’s one of the rarest occasions where a particular song gets nominated in minimum three sections at Filmfare. The movie also included the popular ‘Dadi Amma’ song, and was noticed for its bhajans and folk dance numbers too.
21. Rim Jhim Ke Geet Sawan Gaye from Anjaana – The movie was noticed for some of the popular tracks of Rafi and Lata. Babita played the female lead, and this beautiful duet was penned by Anand Bakshi. Music was composed by Laxmikanth-Pyarelal duo.
22. Ke Jaan Challi Jaye from Anjaana – Yet another popular duet of Rafi and Lata, featuring the lead stars. Dance number, Woh Kaun hai Woh Kaun Hai sung by Mukesh & Lata Mangeshkar and Aa Meri Rani Le Ja Challa Nishani also got noticed.
23. Mujhe Pyar Ke Zindagi Denewale from Pyar Ke Sagar – The duet featured Meena Kumari and Rajendra Kumar and the song was sung by Rafi and Asha Bhosle. Music was composed by Ravi, and lyrics penned by Prem Dhawan.
24. Madhuban Khushboo from Sajan Bina Suhagan – Rajendra Kumar was seen in a guest appearance in the film, with Nutan in the lead role. It’s one of the last noted releases of the Jubilee star. The film is still remembered for the melodious track, Madhuban Khushboo sung by K. J. Yesudas and composed by Usha Khanna. Also read: Usha Khanna gave some of her beautiful compositions to Yesudas. Lyrics were penned by Indivar.
25. Ajee Hum Se Bachkar from Arzoo – Can any other song end this list in a fine knot, except this Shankar-Jaikishen composition? Never! The female version sung by Lata Mangeshkar is an evergreen classic, and Rajendra Kumar was featured in this version too. Yet this version sung by Rafi too is equally melodious. All the songs are exceptionally well and Rajendra Kumar’s performance in ‘Chhalke Teri Ankhon Se’ worth special mention. Arzoo is known for some of the beautiful romantic songs of Rafi such as Chhalke Teri Ankhon Se, Ae Phoolon Ki Rani, Ae Nargise Mastana and of course, Ajee Hum Se Bachkar Kahaa Jaayiyegaa. Lata’s sad solo – Bedardi Balma Tujhko was equally popular.
Dheere Dheere Bol Koi Sun Na Le….. Here I conclude some of the wonderful songs of Rajendra Kumar, and in majority of these songs, Mohammed Rafi’s voice was featured. A single track of Kishore Kumar is also included, apart from a few Mukesh songs. I would like to mention a beautiful duet of Manna Dey and Suman Kalyapur from the movie, Zindagi Aur Khwab, featuring Jubilee Kumar and Meena Kumari – Na Jaane Kaha Tum The….. If I have missed any classic hit, please let me know.
Go through the gallery links to read about some of the hit list songs of Bollywood heroes of yesterdays