Recipe of Pazham Pradhaman regularly appears in Vanitha Magazine, mostly during Onam and Vishu celebrations. After all, this traditional sweet is everyone’s favourite, and an integral part of Kerala’s cuisine. Kerala banana is used for this preparation. Through this column I would like to share the recipe of Pazham Pradhaman published in Vanitha in the Vishu edition, 2017.
Ingredients for Pazham Pradhaman:
1. Jaggery melted – 500gm
2. Kerala banana (Ethapazham) – ¾ kg
3. Ghee – 300 milli
4. Sago (Chauwari) – 5 big spoons, cooked
5. Coconut – 3
6. Ghee – As required
Raisins and cashews – For frying and garnishing
7. Cardamom powder – 1 small spoon
How to prepare Pazham Pradhaman?
1. Scrap coconut and extract 1st milk – 2 cups, second milk – 3 cups and third milk – 4 cups
2. Cook banana and remove its inner thread and seeds. Then crush it well.
3. Heat melted jaggery in an urli and add crushed banana to it.
4. Add 300 gm ghee little by little and fry the contents well.
5. Add cooked sago to it and fry it once again.
6. Pour third milk to the urli and cook till the water content is almost absorbed.
7. Add second extract of coconut milk and stir continuously.
8. When payasam gets thickened, add the first extract of coconut milk, blend well and take the urli from flame.
9. Heat ghee and fry cashews and raisins and then add to pradhaman.
10. Now add cardamom powder, mix the contents well and use.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 1-14, 2017
Also read this Pazham Pradhaman recipe of Kozhikode sadya where sago is not used.
You can read more Payasam & Pradhaman recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.