Ethapazham – Sharkkarakottu
It’s a very tasty and delicious sweet dish, and will be loved by both kids and elders. Referring to a few old recipes, I just tried with a few ingredients and the result turned to be amazing. So I would like to share with you people. Once bananas are cooked, it takes less than 15 minutes to prepare this dish. Though measurements are not so accurate, you can make it your own by slightly varying its ingredients.
Ingredients for Ethapazham – Sharkkarakottu:
1. Kerala banana (Ethapazham) – 4 big sized, well ripen
2. Jaggery – For taste
Coconut milk powder or first milk extracted from coconut – ¼-1/2 cup
3. Coconut scrapped – ½ cup
4. Ghee – 1 small spoon
5. Raisins and cashews – A few
6. Cardamom powder – ¼ small spoon
How to prepare Ethapazham – Sharkkarakottu?
1. Steam cook the bananas and cut into square pieces after splitting into four.
2. Crush jaggery to small pieces or powder.
3. Heat a pan and add coconut milk along with jaggery.
4. Continue boiling till jaggery is fully melted.
5. Add banana pieces and sauté till water content gets almost absorbed (5 minutes).
6. Add scrapped coconut along with ghee, cashews and raisins.
7. Mix the contents and sauté for 2 more minutes.
8. Finally add cardamom powder, mix the Ethapazham – Sharkkarakottu well and put the flame off.
9. The sweet dish tastes great both hot and cold.
Note: Sugar is the best substitute for jaggery. In case you need less sweetness for your dish, you can avoid both these items. Banana itself has sweetness.