Chemmeen Puttu and Prawns Coconut Masala
Ingredients to prepare Chemmeen Puttu (Prawns Puttu):
1. Puttu powder – 1/2 kg
2. Water – 300 milli
Salt – As required
3. Coconut oil – 2 small spoons
4. Green chillies, Garlic and Ginger finely chopped – ½ tsp each
Shallots finely chopped – 2 small spoons
Curry leaves finely chopped – 1/2 small spoon
5. Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Chilli powder – ¼ tsp
6. Prawns finely chopped – 200g
7. Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Salt – As required
8. Coconut scrapped – 1 full
How to prepare Chemmeen Puttu (Prawns Puttu)?
1. Prepare puttu powder adding sufficient water and required salt.
2. Heat coconut oil in a non-stick pan and sauté ingredients no: 4 for 5 minutes.
3. Then add ingredients no: 5 and sauté again.
4. Add finely cut prawns to it along with pepper powder and salt to it and sauté again.
5. After two minutes, add scrapped coconut to it and mix well.
6. Keep puttu maker (puttu kutti) in the steam for a while and put one big spoon of Prawn Peera Koottu into it.
7. Then add 5 big spoons of puttu powder and continue the process to form a few layers of puttu and prawn peera.
8. Cook in steam to prepare Prawn peera puttu and serve it hot aside Chemmeen Thenga Masala (Prawns Coconut Masala).
Ingredients for Chemmeen Thenga Masala (Prawns Coconut Masala):
1. Prawns – ½ kg
2. Coconut oil – 5 small spoons
3. Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
Mustard – ¼ tsp
Red chillies – 5
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
Coconut cut into fine lengthy pieces – 4 small spoons
4. Onions sliced – 1 cup
Ginger, green chillies and garlic cut into fine lengthy pieces – 1 small spoon each
5. Tomato sliced – ½ cup
6. Red chilli powder – 2 small spoons
Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Black pepper powder – ½ small spoon
7. Salt – As needed
8. Coconut milk – 1 coconut
Lemon juice – 1 small spoon
9. Coconut oil – 2 big spoons
How to prepare Chemmeen Thenga Masala (Prawns Coconut Masala)?
1. Heat oil in a pan and sauté ingredients no: 3.
2. After that, sauté ingredients no: 4.
3. Add sliced tomatoes to it and sauté again till it’s almost done.
4. Add ingredients no: 6 and sauté till masala flavour comes out.
5. It should be fried well till the gravy gets good aroma. After that prawns are to be added and sauté again.
6. When it is done, add required salt, and cook prawns adding coconut milk and lemon juice.
7. Add coconut oil to Prawns Coconut Masala just before flame is put off.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, May 1-14 2009
To read about the story of Kerala’s traditional dish Puttu, also known by the name Steam cake, click the link
You can read few more delicious steamcake recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.