Sonu Nigam and Shreya Ghosal have fully dominated Hindi film music scene since early 2000s. After Kumar Sanu, Sonu Nigam emerged as the leading playback singer of Hindi film scene, and he has struggled in the industry for about a decade before he got some good songs in the late 1990s. Shreya entered film scene after winning a reality singing talent hunt show and since her debut film – Devdas was released in 2002, she has been frequently used by music composers of the film industry, and with mid-2000s, she emerged as the leading female singer of the industry.
The time period during which both rose to horizon has almost been equal, and since mid-2000s they became the popular singing duo of Bollywood. Shreya received top competition from her contemporary Sunidhi Chauhan, while Pakistani singers – Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Atif Aslam became the main competitors of Sonu. Many experiments have been done and many new singers have been introduced to the field post 2005. Yet Sonu Nigam-Shreya Ghoshal remains one of the popular singing duos of Bollywood. Let us list some of their popular songs.
1. Mein Agar Kahoo of Om Shanti Om – Deepika Padukone started her film journey opposite King Khan and she looked extremely gorgeous in the makeup and hair style of cine artist of 1970s. Sonu Nigam and Shreya Ghoshal did perfect justice to this song, and the song is extremely popular even after 9 years since the movie got released. Sonu Nigam received a Filmfare nomination for the song.
2. Mannat of Dawat-E-Ishq– It’s after a long time music lovers got opportunity to hear an extremely melodious song belonging to this duo. The song featured Aditya Roy Kapoor and Parineeti Chopra.
3. Zoobi Doobi Zoobi Doobi of 3 Idiots – The comedy film with a good message created big figures at box office. Not only did it make a historic run at theatres in India and abroad, its songs too were chartbusters. Its fast tracks and foot tapping numbers were loved by all. It was a delight to watch Aamir and Kareena dancing to steps, set in B&W era of Hindi cinema. Shreya received a Filmfare nomination for the song.
4. Shukra Allah of Kurbaan– I think it’s the most beautiful romantic song pictured on the real-life couple Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor. The song was beautifully composed by Salim-Sulaiman, and Salim Merchant also gave additional input to the vocals. Salim Merchant and Sonu Nigam received a Filmfare nomination also.
5. Dholna of Heyy Baby – This beautiful song was pictured on Vidya Balan and Akshay Kumar. Music is composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, and Sameer penned its beautiful lyrics.
6. Pal Pal of Lage Raho Munna Bhai – It was one of the earliest popular duets of Sonu Nigam-Shreya Ghoshal. This iconic movie was directed by Rajkumar Hirani, and music was composed by Shantanu Moitra.
7. Piyu Bole of Parineeta – Vidya Balan made her film debut with Parineeta, and this particular song also gave her a major career breakthrough. She was seen aside Saif Ali Khan in this song, and their fresh pairing was very much appreciated.
8. Soniyo of Raaz – The Mystery Continues – It’s one of the best romantic songs of Sonu Nigam’s singing career, and he sang this sizzling track aside Shreya. The song featured Kangana Ranaut and Adhyayan Suman, who were in a relationship then.
9. Ishq Hua of Aaja Nachle – It was the comeback of Bollywood diva Madhuri Dixit, and this extremely popular romantic track also featured Konkana Sen Sharma and Kunal Kapoor. The actors were seen practising for a drama in the song which was lovely pictured. Konkana is a versatile actress brilliant in doing romantic roles, and apart from Wake Up Sid, Aaja Nachle is one such.
10. Dil Dooba of Khakee – One of the early hits of this popular duo, this duet was pictured on Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai. The song was wonderfully choreographed also, and the film met with critical and commercial success.
11. Title track of Main Hoon Na – Since 2004 they together sang many popular duets and Mein Hoon Na song is one such. The song featured Shah Rukh Khan, Amrita Rao and Zayed Khan. Sonu Nigam received multiple nominations for this title track.
12. Dheere Jalna of Paheli – Shah Rukh Khan was seen in an extremely different avatar in this film, and he was seen romancing Rani Mukerji in this song. The movie met with critical acclaim also. The song also received National award for best playback singer.
13. Bolo To Bolo Na Bolo Zara of Shabd – Though the song was not a big hit, it’s a nice romantic song pictured on Aishwarya Rai, Sanjay Dutt and Zayed Khan.
14. Sajan Ghar Aana Tha of Aryan – The song was pictured on beautiful Sohail Khan and Sneha Ullal of Lucky fame.
15. Keh Raha Hai of Babul – Salman Khan and Rani Mukerji worked in a series of movies since year 2000, and Babul is one among those. Keh Raha Hai is a lovely song pictured on the pair. But the movie was a box office failure.
16. Koi Tumsa Nahin of Krrish– The super hit movie included several chartbuster songs, and Koi Tumsa was one among them. There are several popular duets in the film.
17. Pyar Ki Ek Kahani of Krrish – The movie also included one more popular duet sung by Sonu Nigam and Shreya Ghoshal – Pyar Ki Ek Kahani, and both the songs featured Hrithik Roshan and Priyanka Chopra.
18. Rab Rakha of Love Breakups Zindagi – This popular track featuring Diya Mirza and Zayed Khan also included the voices of Salim Merchant and Shrraddha Pandit. It is a lovely wedding song featuring so many actors.
19. Tere Bin of Wazir – One of their recent works, the song featured Farhan Akhtar and Aditi Rao Hydari as bride and groom, and their wedding.
20. Ishq Hi Hai Rab of Dil Bole Hadippa – This song pictured Shahid Kapoor and Rani Mukerji. The song had some spectacular scenes of rural India.
Sonu Nigam remains the most romantic male voice since early 2000s. Click on the gallery images to read a few articles on this versatile singer.
Same is the case of gifted singer Shreya Ghoshal too. Click on the gallery links to read a few articles of Shreya.
A freelance writer and blogger by profession since October 2011, interested in writing over a wide range of topics. Hope you enjoy my writings. I belong to one of the beautiful places of the world, Kerala, nicknamed as 'God's own country'.