No doubt, Asha Parekh remained one among the most successful and popular actress of 1960s. She ruled millions of hearts with her charm, shining eyes and cute smile. She was just the perfect face for Bollywood heroines of the era, and she handled both glamorous and sari-clad roles with ease. In the 1970s, as age passed by, she preferred to stay away from big screen instead of doing mother and sister roles and this lovely actress is an integral part of 1960s.
In my opinion she was the most successful actress of the era of 1960s with maximum hits. She was one among the most busy heroines in 1960s who did maximum films as well. She has worked with all leading heroes of her time, and through this column I would like to list her top 15 songs belonging to different movies – indeed a difficult task.
I tried to list her top 10 songs, but I couldn’t. I even excluded her popular films like Dil Dekho Dekho, Ziddi, Mein Tulsi Tere Angan Ki and many more from the list. She shares several hit songs with R. D. Burman during her film career. In fact R. D.’s early hits like Teesri Manzil, Pyar Ka Mausam and Baharon Ke Sapne belong to Asha Parekh too.
1. “Na Jaa O Mere Humdum” – It remains one among my personal favourites. The song belongs to the movie ‘Pyar Ka Mausam’ (1969) and she shared screen space with the charming Shashi Kapoor. The movie was directed by Nasir Hussain with whom Asha has been frequently associated with. The movie also included several memorable tracks such as “Tum Bin Jao Kaha” and “Ni Sultana Re”, and both these songs were extremely popular. “Mein Na Miloongi” is yet another Lata solo from this movie featuring Asha.
2. “Oh Mere Sona Re” and “Aaja Aaja” – This suspense thriller film gave a big break to R. D. Burman in Bollywood music industry. Teesri Manzil (1966) included several chartbuster hits like O Haseena and Tumne Mujhe Dekha. Oh Mere Sona Re pictured on Shammi and Asha exclusively belongs to our lovely heroine, and the couple rocked in the song, Aaja Aaja. Its lyrics were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
3. “Kya jaano sajan” and “Aaja piya“ – Both these songs are evergreen, and best among Lata Mangeshkar song. So I couldn’t leave any choice, but to choose both these songs belonging to the film – Baharom Ke Sapne (1967). She was paired with Rajesh Khanna and the beautiful songs were composed by R. D. Burman.
4. Yeh Duniyawale Poochenge of Mahal – This suspense thriller was directed by Shanker Mukherjee, and music was composed by Kalyanji-Anandji. Asha Parekh looked extremely beautiful in this song and Dev Anand in his ‘romantic ada’ as always. The song was sung by Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle. Also read: Top 10 duets of Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle.
5. “Bangle Ke Peeche” – It’s one of the best dance songs pictured on Asha Bhosle. The songs belong to 1972 film – Samadhi. This Lata Mangeshkar song has been remixed several times and heard several times. Once again its music was composed by R. D. Burman. The movie also included the romantic track – Jab Tak Rahe Tan Mein Jiya.
6. “Sayonara” and “Mujhe tum mil gaye” – Another difficult choice to select the best song from the movie ‘Love in Tokyo’. The evergreen songs were created by Shankar Jaikishan and Hasrat Jaipuri. She was paired with Joy Mukherjee. The movie also included the sizzling track – Aaja Re Aa Zara and romantic track O Mere Shahe Khuba – sung in two versions.
7. Acha To Hum Chalte Hai – This lovely goodbye song from the movie – Aan Milo Sajna is still popular. She was paired with Rajesh Khanna for this movie which was a box office hit.
8. “Na Koi Umang Hai” – Yet another R. D song for an Asha Parekh film. Though Asha owns several jubilee hits, she received Filmfare award for a single movie – Katti Patang in 1970, where she was paired with Rajesh Khanna who was glowing in the ‘Aradhana’ fame then. The movie included several hit songs pictured on Rajesh Khanna and Asha, and voice rendered by Kishore Kumar and Mukesh such as Pyar Diwana Hota Hai, Yeh Shyam Masitani and Jis Gale Mein.
9. “Suno Sajna Papihe Ne” – No doubt this song will definitely find place in the best songs pictured on Asha Parekh. She was paired with Dharmendra for the film, Aaye Din Bahar Ke. Asha looked extremely beautiful and stunning in this song. This classic romantic number was composed by Laxmikanth-Pyarelal and penned by Anand Bakshi. The movie also included the popular dance number pictured on Asha – “Khat Likh De Sawariya Ke Naam” and romantic track – “Yeh Kali Jab Talak Phool Banke”.
10. “Kitna Pyara Wada Hai” – Yet another R. D. Burman song. The song belongs to the musical Caravan released in 1971. She was paired with Jeetendra for this duet song. The movie also included many popular songs like “Piya Tu Ab To Aaja” and “Dilbar Dil Se Pyare”. The songs were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
11. “Aankhon Se Jo Utri Hai Dil Mein” – This beautiful song sung by Asha Bhosle belongs to the romantic film, Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon (1963). She worked with Joy Mukherjee for several romantic movies in the 1960s which proved successful. Music of Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon was composed by O.P. Nayyar.
12. “Sau Saal Pehle” – Jab Pyar Kise Se Hota Hai was one of the early hits of Asha Parekh which established her as a star of Bollywood. The movie included several chartbuster hits, and as we are listing popular songs of Asha Parekh, this duet song can be included in the list. The most popular song – “Jiya O Jiya” was also pictured on Asha Parekh, but it is known to be a Dev Anand song.
13. “Jab Chali Thandi Hawa” – A popular song sung by Asha Bhosle belongs to the movie – Do Badan (1966). Music was composed by Ravi and extremely popular. It was one of the rarest movies, where Manoj Kumar played a romantic hero role.
14. “Parde Mein Rehne Do” – This popular item song was sung by Asha Bhosle and belongs to the movie Shikar. The movie was released in 1968, and Dharmendra played lead hero role.
15. “Jaaiye Aap Kahaan Jaayenge”– Let me end the list with this beautiful song from the movie Mere Sanam. Apart from R. D. Burman, O. P. Nayyar has also given several evergreen songs for Asha Parekh movies, and Mere Sanam is one such. The movie also included hit tracks like “Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfein” and “Pukarta Chala Hoon Main”. She was paired with romantic hero Biswajeet for this film.
Apart from the songs listed above, songs of Kanyadan – Likhe Jo Khat Tujhe, Chirag – Teri Aakhon Ke Siva, Jab Pyar Kise Se Hota Hai – Sau Saal Pehle and Ziddi – Raat Ka Sama and Yeh Meri Zindagi, Pagla Kahin Ka – Tum Mujhe Yu Bhula Na, Aaya Saawan Jhook Ke – Title track too were extremely popular. Yes, as told in the above song, how can we go leaving her memorable movies and songs? I believe 1960s to the most beautiful era of Bollywood music, and definitely several songs pictured on Asha belong to this beautiful era. Definitely this decade and its music are incomplete without Asha Parekh for sure.
If I missed your favourite let me know.
Read to know soft solo songs of Rafi for Shammi Kapoor.
Read top 10 songs of Dev Anand.