It is one of the traditional dishes of Kerala, and served as dessert in Kerala Sadya. Here a traditional ‘Uruli’ with thick bottom made of copper and bronze is used for preparation.
Ingredients for Paal Payasam:
1. Milk – 2 Ltr
2. Payasam rice (Nurukk Unakkalari) – 1 cup
3. Ghee – 3 tsp
4. Sugar – 100 gm
How to prepare Paal Payasam?
1. Add ghee to the urli, and add 2 litres of milk. Boil milk and keep stirring.
2. When milk is reduced to half in content, add rice and cook well. Keep stirring.
3. When rice is cooked 75% add sugar and keep stirring.
4. Keep it in flame till colour of the payasam changes from pure white to light rose colour. Payasam will also be thickened by this time.
5. Put the flame off when rice is well cooked, and keep stirring for a while.
6. Serve once milk payasam is cooled. Stir once again before serving.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine September 1-14 2011.
To read about Pongala Payasam
(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)