Ingredients for Padavalanga – Cherupayar paripp thoran
- Snake gourd (Padavalanga) – 1 cup
- Green gram split (cherupayar parippu) – ½ cup
- Green chillies – 2
- Shallots – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Salt – as needed
- Coconut oil – 2-3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Red chillies whole – 3
- Turmeric powder – ¼ – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Coconut scrapped – 1 cup
How to prepare Padavalanga – Cherupayar paripp thoran?
- Wash daal and soak in ½ cup water for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend once coconut, turmeric powder, garlic, cumin seeds, chilli powder and 3 curry leaves. It’s just to crush coconut and ingredients to blend well.
- Cut snake guard to small pieces. Chop shallots as well. Split green chillies to 4.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and red chillies. When mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves.
- Add dal along with soaked water, snake guard, green chillies, shallots and salt. Stir well and close the lid to cook in low flame.
- Occasionally open the lid and stir contents. If water needed, you can add little more.
- When it’s cooked and water completely absorbed, add coconut paste, cover it completely with a little daal-snake gourd mixture so that coconut gravy will be heated in the steam.
- Close the lid and open after 3-4 minutes. You will feel the nice aroma of thoran.
- Now mix the contents well and close the lid again for a few minutes.
- Open the lid and stir the contents well for a few more moments and put the flame off.
(Visited 475 times, 1 visits today)