Oviyappam- An offering of Puthupalli
It’s a famous offering of Kottayam Puthupalli St.George Orthidox Church just before Easter. It’s prepared from newly taken rice from fields (Punnellu Kuthiya Ari)
Ingredients for Oviyappam:
- Rice flour – 1 kg
- Coconut – 2
- Jaggery – 1.25 kg
- Black gram – 200 gm (1 naazhi – till its edge, not a heap)
- Shallots – ¼ kg
- Garlic – 1 full
- Cumin seeds – 3 small spoons
How to prepare Oviyappam?
- Dry fry rice flour similar to steam cake (don’t over fry)
- Melt jaggery and remove dirt particles. Allow it to cool and when it cools completely, add rice flour. (It can be done one night before the preparation of oviyappam)
- Soak black gram (urud daal) and grind well.
- Crush scrapped coconut. It can be blend once using a mixer. Add grinded garlic, cumin seeds and shallots.
- Add this mixture to rice flour-jaggery mixture, stir well and keep it for 2 hours.
- Add sufficient salt and steam cook it (similar to vattayappam).
- Since flour is not sour, it takes a little more time to cook.
Also read recipes for similar offerings in churches of Kerala:
(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)
You may also like...
error: Content is protected !!