Ingredients for Ponkala Payasam:
- Payasam rice – 500 grams
- Jaggery – 500 grams
- Bay leaves (Vayana ila) – 4 or 5
- Scrapped coconut – 1
- Raisins – A handful
- Cashew nuts – A handful
- Banana sliced into thin chips (Rasa kadali, matti or palayanthodan) – 4
- Ghee – 1 or 2 table spoon
- Crushed cardamom – 6 or 7
Method of preparation of Ponkala Payasam:
- Wash the rice well and keep it aside.
- Light the hearth using firewood.
- Heat water in an earthen pot. Tilt it towards east. Water should never be excess. Otherwise your payasam will be too thin.
- When it boils add washed rice and never stir it so that it can overflow.
- When it overflows stir it well and allow it to cook for half an hour or till it’s done.
- Crush jaggery to pieces and add to rice once rice is well cooked and water completely absorbed.
- When jaggery melts completely and water almost absorbed add ghee, bay leaves and cardamom.
- Stir it well and add coconut, banana, raisins and cashew nuts.
- Stir it well. Put the flame off and cover it with a banana leaf. Place it in the hearth itself so that it gets a baking effect.
You can also read about the famous Attukal Ponkala here.